"My Favorite Isthmus City" Top 5 Page for this destination Madison by yooperprof
Madison Travel Guide: 302 reviews and 476 photos
Wisconsin's current Capitol was built between 1906 and 1917, commanding the central position on the isthmus which separates Lake Mendota from Lake Monona. It's a tremendous setting for a building which serves as a reminder that there was a time in American history when people took pride in their governments, and felt that it was appropriate that legislatures should be housed in civic temples. I'm sure that if we had to start from scratch today, there would be no will, no desire, no money to construct this kind of structure for our governments. We are richer today privately, but much poorer civically.
Interior of the State Capitol, with lobbyists. That's a picture of Justice, with her scales, on the wall above. (Sorry for the fuzziness of my photo.)
Madison has one of the best Farmer's Markets in the Midwest. Every Saturday the streets of surrounding the dome are buzzing with produce vendors, cheesesellers, crafters of every ilk, and the assorted social-political-ethical enthusiast, all of whom set up their stalls and proceed to vend away. (I think the market also goes on Wednesdays as well.) I love the colors, the smells, the tastes. . . Everyone love fresh edibles, if only to look at. For example, I might be a little shy about tasting those peppers, but they make a very artistic display!
- In a nutshell:Biggest Small City in America
Excellent coffeeshop for all types, close to the western end of Williamson Street. Just down a bit from the Blount... more travel advice
A feminist bookstore with both new and used selections - many shevles devoted to literature, history and travel -... more travel advice
yooperprof's Related Pages
Madison Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Madison, Wisconsin....where I live"
- "My Favorite Isthmus City"
- "Madison - my home away from home"
- "My Hometown-"The Mad Town""
- "Madison, Wisconsin - College Town U.S.A."
- "My Madison"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Madison
- Hotels in Madison
- Transportation in Madison
- Nightlife in Madison
- Restaurants in Madison
- Shopping in Madison
- Warnings and Dangers in Madison
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Madison
- 20 Reviews
- 37 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (114)
Have you been to Madison?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Madison
Photos in MadisonSee All Photos (37)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 205 reviews, 391 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 82 reviews, 229 photos, 3 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 126 reviews, 161 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oslo Intro, 112 reviews, 173 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Milwaukee Intro, 102 reviews, 168 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 86 reviews, 176 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marquette Intro, 80 reviews, 151 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ottawa Intro, 67 reviews, 144 photos, 1 travelogue
- Montreal Intro, 70 reviews, 137 photos
- Kansas City Intro, 72 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues