"My Favorite Isthmus City" Top 5 Page for this destination Madison by yooperprof

Madison Travel Guide: 302 reviews and 477 photos

State Capitol USA

Wisconsin's current Capitol was built between 1906 and 1917, commanding the central position on the isthmus which separates Lake Mendota from Lake Monona. It's a tremendous setting for a building which serves as a reminder that there was a time in American history when people took pride in their governments, and felt that it was appropriate that legislatures should be housed in civic temples. I'm sure that if we had to start from scratch today, there would be no will, no desire, no money to construct this kind of structure for our governments. We are richer today privately, but much poorer civically.

Interior of the State Capitol, with lobbyists. That's a picture of Justice, with her scales, on the wall above. (Sorry for the fuzziness of my photo.)

Capitol Square Farmers Market

Madison has one of the best Farmer's Markets in the Midwest. Every Saturday the streets of surrounding the dome are buzzing with produce vendors, cheesesellers, crafters of every ilk, and the assorted social-political-ethical enthusiast, all of whom set up their stalls and proceed to vend away. (I think the market also goes on Wednesdays as well.) I love the colors, the smells, the tastes. . . Everyone love fresh edibles, if only to look at. For example, I might be a little shy about tasting those peppers, but they make a very artistic display!

• In a nutshell:Biggest Small City in America
  • Last visit to Madison: Dec 2012
  • Intro Updated Jan 15, 2013

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Nov 27, 2007 at 12:44 PM

Brings back memories of a great week I spent in Madison back in June of, err, 1968 I think. (Just heard Gounod's Faust singing about why he wants to be young again.) I've never heard "What da ya know?" though we do get quite a few PBS programs over here.

• Tom_In_Madison's Profile Photo
    Feb 12, 2007 at 6:24 AM

THe 'World Series of Beer' is a local custom??? ") Nice, nice to read about your home city. :)

• Dabs's Profile Photo
    Sep 29, 2004 at 7:39 AM

You really should move to Chicago, I'm not sure how you survive the culinary defects of Marquette! And orange carpet is never good :-) Nice page

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Mar 22, 2004 at 8:32 PM

Another group of pages with reader appeal! Excellent text to entice we architectual lovers. Some fine photographs and precise narratives. Thanks.

• zrim's Profile Photo
    Feb 18, 2003 at 4:13 PM

Wright On!

• sambarnett's Profile Photo
    Jan 27, 2003 at 8:35 PM

Well said.

yooperprof Visits Here Frequently!

yooperprof

“from da u.p. to da world”

Badges & Stats in Madison

Have you been to Madison?

Latest Activity in Madison