"Idyllic and Historic La Pointe" La Pointe by yooperprof
La Pointe Travel Guide: 14 reviews and 24 photos
La Pointe is the village on bucolic Madeline Island. About 250 people live here year round, and in the summertime a few thousand come over for their holiday homes. But don't come here thinking this is another Mackinac Island - here you'll find no horse poop on the streets, no Grand Hotel, no fudge shops. Who needs it?
The "main street" of La Pointe - right on the water - is nothing much, but on it you can get the necessities for your stay on the island: gas, groceries and grub.
One of Madeline Island ferries - plowing the waters between La Pointe and Bayfield. The ferries carry 20-30 cars each, covering the few miles in about half an hour.
The sign says that a free bus to the Mall of America leaves here every day at noon.
It's a joke - an example of the wry humor of the people who run Tom's Burned Out Bar.
If you really want rampant commercialism, chain stores galore, and all the allure of decadent capitalism, you should probably have gone to Bloomington.
Local and regional artists, pottery, painting, knick-knacks, old photos, fishing tackle. This is pretty much your... more travel advice
Grampa Tony's is the main pizza place on Madeline Island. (I'm told they also have good ice cream.) I haven't had a... more travel advice
yooperprof's Related Pages
La Pointe Travel Guide
- Things to Do in La Pointe
- Hotels in La Pointe
- Nightlife in La Pointe
- Restaurants in La Pointe
- Shopping in La Pointe
- See All...
Badges & Stats in La Pointe
- 19 Reviews
- 24 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (113)
Have you been to La Pointe?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in La Pointe
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 205 reviews, 391 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 82 reviews, 229 photos, 3 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 126 reviews, 161 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oslo Intro, 112 reviews, 173 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Milwaukee Intro, 102 reviews, 168 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 86 reviews, 176 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marquette Intro, 80 reviews, 151 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ottawa Intro, 67 reviews, 144 photos, 1 travelogue
- Montreal Intro, 70 reviews, 137 photos
- Kansas City Intro, 72 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues