"Mississippi Crossing at La Crosse" Top 5 Page for this destination La Crosse by yooperprof
La Crosse Travel Guide: 51 reviews and 45 photos
As the Mississippi saunters its way southward to the Gulf of Mexico from the northwoods of Minnesota, there are places where it broadens out into wide basins that resemble lakes. How much of this is due to the Army Corps of Engineers, and how much to the Mississippi's own lassitude, I can't say.
Mark Twain passed through here in 1878, as he was undertaking the riverboat journey that he transformed into "Life on the Mississippi." There's some wonderful writing in it. I recommend it if you are planning to spend anytime along the Big River.
"We added several passengers to our list at La Crosse; among others an old gentlemen who had come to this northwestern region with the early settlers, and was familiar with every part of it. Pardonably proud of it, too. He said, 'You'll find scenery between here and St. Paul that can give the Hudson points. You'll have the Queen's Bluff - seven hundred feet high, and just as imposing a spectacle as you can find anywheres; and Trempeleau Island, which isn't like any other island in America, I believe, for it is a gigantic mountain, with precipitous sides, and is full of Indian traditions, and used to be full of rattlesnakes; if you catch the sun just right there, you will have a picture that will stay with you. And above Winona you'll have lovely prairies; and then come to the Thousand Islands, too beautiful for anything; green? why you never saw foliage so green, nor packed so thick; it's like a thousand plush cushions afloat on a looking glass. . ."
Wisconsin and Beer - they make quite a team. The Bodega Brew Pub is a great place to observe La Crossians in their... more travel advice
Be it ever so humble, there's no place like home. Right, Dorothy? more travel advice
yooperprof's Related Pages
La Crosse Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Where I spent the best 4 years of my life (so far)"
- "Mississippi Crossing at La Crosse"
- "Karyn at College"
- "Nikal's new La Crosse Page"
- "Kay_C's new La Crosse Page"
- "Summer69's La Crosse page"
- "La Crosse"
- See All...
- Things to Do in La Crosse
- Hotels in La Crosse
- Transportation in La Crosse
- Nightlife in La Crosse
- Restaurants in La Crosse
- Shopping in La Crosse
- See All...
Badges & Stats in La Crosse
- 8 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (57)
Have you been to La Crosse?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in La Crosse
Photos in La CrosseSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 206 reviews, 394 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 82 reviews, 229 photos, 3 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 126 reviews, 161 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oslo Intro, 112 reviews, 173 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Milwaukee Intro, 102 reviews, 168 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 86 reviews, 176 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marquette Intro, 80 reviews, 151 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ottawa Intro, 67 reviews, 144 photos, 1 travelogue
- Montreal Intro, 70 reviews, 137 photos
- Kansas City Intro, 72 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues