"Iron Range Town with Many Bars" Hurley by yooperprof
Hurley Travel Guide: 7 reviews and 10 photos
Hurley is the seat of Iron County, very appropriate for a place that was a mining boom town 100 years ago. It developed the reputation of a wide-open city, the kind of fun "wild west" town where "anything goes" and the bars stayed open 24-7.
The mines have been closed now for almost 40 years, and people have been leaving to find greater opportunities elsewhere. Iron County's population is only a little over 6000, Hurley has about 1800 people, many of them living in nursing homes. Geriatric care is the only bright spot in the local economy now.
Silver Street, the main avenue through Hurley, is still lined with bars and taverns. You wouldn't think it was possible for a town this size to support so many drinking establishments, but apparently it's good business here.
On the corner is the "Bank Club Bar & Grill" - formerly the Hurley National Bank. Somebody could write a socio-economic treatise about Silver Street!
Hurley Wisconsin is separated from Ironwood Michigan by the Montreal River. It's not exactly the Mississippi, but it's as good a place to have a "state line" as any other.
For many years, Hurley was home to a thriving Jewish community. This Lake Superior Iron Range town even had its own... more travel advice
Petrusha's is an old fashioned "Road House" on the road south out of town - US 51. It's just past the cemetery - you... more travel advice
yooperprof's Related Pages
Hurley Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Hurley
- 6 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (113)
Have you been to Hurley?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hurley
Photos in HurleySee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 205 reviews, 391 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 82 reviews, 229 photos, 3 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 126 reviews, 161 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oslo Intro, 112 reviews, 173 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Milwaukee Intro, 102 reviews, 168 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 86 reviews, 176 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marquette Intro, 80 reviews, 151 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ottawa Intro, 67 reviews, 144 photos, 1 travelogue
- Montreal Intro, 70 reviews, 137 photos
- Kansas City Intro, 72 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues