"(Almost) Nothing About the Packers Here!" Top 5 Page for this destination Green Bay by yooperprof

Green Bay Travel Guide: 111 reviews and 185 photos

Green Bay's Wetlands

There's a football team that plays in Green Bay, but I'm not going to write about them. Instead I'll share some of the other things which Green Bay is associated with - notably, outdoor activity. Green Bay is (surprisingly) a beautiful place to visit, with several distinct and unusual parks and wildlife refuges. Green Bay is an important place for migratory waterfowl flying up and down the North American corridor, and it is heartening to see that efforts have been made to preserve and extend wetlands habitat for a variety of creatures. If we as a society are going to be truly serious about protecting our environment, we need to be concerned not only about "wild places" like Yellowstone or Montana, but also - especially - about less dramatic but no less significant features like the wetlands of the upper Midwest.

Green Bay lies at the point where the Fox River enters into "Green Bay." The Fox River has a high concentration of paper mills, which can never be "neutral" in regards to environmental pollution. Fortunately, however, there's been a recognition that the local area is too important to be wasted, so the region is dotted with a variety of local, regional, and statewide parks and wildlife refuges. Some of these are funded by the paper companies themselves. It may be "conscience money," but even so, they should be commended for making the effort of giving something back to the natural world which they can't help but otherwise degrade.

Summer storms - in June 2005 I was driving north out of Green Bay on US 41 when I caught a picture of this impressive cumulo-nimbus off to the east.

• Last visit to Green Bay: Jun 2005

Sep 10, 2012 at 9:22 PM

Lovely page, good job!

• rstary's Profile Photo
    Aug 24, 2007 at 6:41 PM

I wouldn't consider the food at Titletown to be the same as other brew pubs, but that's my opinion I guess. It's not your standard pizza and hamburgers! I love the beer too!

• moiraistyx's Profile Photo
    Aug 31, 2006 at 7:12 PM

The Green Bay Zoo is also very nice, and it has nothing to do with the Packers. HAHA

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo
    Sep 16, 2004 at 1:09 PM

Congratulations to your Mom. What an awsome accomplishment! We're the kind of people who are far more interested in the wildlife sanctuary than in the Packers. We don't keep up much with baseball.

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Jun 26, 2004 at 9:05 PM

Chet, I'm one who is glad that you did not concentrate on the Packers! I really enjoyed the Farmhouse Restaurant and Ice Cream Palor and the Marathon with your remarkable mother.

• zrim's Profile Photo
    Apr 28, 2004 at 7:19 AM

I wouldn't call the Packers a cult--just righteous thinking. Now marathoning, that's a different story, brainwasing is the only feasible reason why a person would run 26 miles.

• aussiedoug's Profile Photo
    Dec 23, 2003 at 2:31 PM

G'Day Chet. Your mum is a pretty amazing lady. Great perspective on Green Bay too. thanks! Have only seen it twice (winter) & both times Packer related even though we did get to have a look around the 2nd time. Merry Xmas to you & yours!

• socrates_07's Profile Photo
    Aug 14, 2003 at 3:48 PM

I am a Packer Fan but its ok that you didnt write anything about the Packers. I enjoyed to read your page with interests! And you took wonderful pictures. Btw. the village Rust and the Lake Neusiedl would be interesting for Eric!

• craic's Profile Photo
    Jul 5, 2003 at 11:47 AM

Great page. Rachel Carson, twitchers and marathon moms!

yooperprof

“from da u.p. to da world”

Badges & Stats in Green Bay

Have you been to Green Bay?