"Sort of like "Bedford Falls"" Cedarburg by yooperprof
Cedarburg Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 21 photos
Small town Americana. If you want to see a place that looks like it belongs in a Frank Capra movie, come to Cedarburg. It's a quiet place in the exurbs north of Milwaukee - not really a suburb, but not really the countryside, either.
This historic house on Washington Street dates from the 1870s. For other examples of fine domestic architecture in Cedarburg, check out the travelogue.
"The source of Cedarburg's vigor from its birth as a village in 1845 was the power-producing creek that the Irish and German immigrants found here. After building the dam and five mills, the life of the community flowed along the banks of the Cedar Creek.
"The historic heart of Cedarburg contains a significant group of nineteenth and early twentieth century buildings that embody the different architectural styles and construction methods employed in the city from the 1840s to the 1920s. The diversity of the types of bulidng in the downtown historic district reflects the fact that this area has served as the center of Cedarburg's social, commercial, industrial, entertainment and religious activities. Despite this diversity, strong relationships exist between the buildings because of similarities in scale, style, materials and craftmanship. Many are constructed of locally quarried limestone or cream-colored brick. The most obvious bond between the buildings is their skillful masonry work, which gives Cedarburg its special character. While many of the early builders and masons remain anonymous, the high quality of the historic buildings serves as an enduring tribute to their skills.
Pleasant stone sanctuary on Washington Street more travel advice
Brunch, coffee, sandwiches, soup. Now if they would just train the barista how to make a good cup of cappacino! more travel advice
yooperprof's Related Pages
Cedarburg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sort of like "Bedford Falls""
- "If You Like Knick Knacks You'll Like This Town"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cedarburg
- 5 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (115)
Have you been to Cedarburg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cedarburg
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 205 reviews, 391 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 82 reviews, 229 photos, 3 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 126 reviews, 161 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oslo Intro, 112 reviews, 173 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Milwaukee Intro, 102 reviews, 168 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 86 reviews, 176 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marquette Intro, 80 reviews, 151 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ottawa Intro, 67 reviews, 144 photos, 1 travelogue
- Montreal Intro, 70 reviews, 137 photos
- Kansas City Intro, 72 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues