"Superior Shores" Bayfield by yooperprof
Bayfield Travel Guide: 22 reviews and 37 photos
Bayfield WI is something of an undiscovered gem. It's a small town - a big village - on Lake Superior with a moderate amount of development - but without any large resort hotels or facilities that can make some places feel as if they've been mass-produced according to Hollywood's notion of "cute".
In Bayfield there are no traffic lights, no fast food, no putt-putt golf, no folksy schlock, no Wal-marts, no go-kart tracks, no "Water Park Holi-domes", no schlock of any kind. This is the "un-Wisconsin Dells".
The closest Metro area to Bayfield is Minneapolis-St. Paul, which is about 4 hours to the south and west. Perhaps there is something of the Twin Cities' neatness and order here - Scandinavian tidiness and good taste? Bayfield also seems a little "New Englandy" - with its sailboats and cafes and bracing breezes from the water. But it's not salt water here, it's the chill of Lake Superior that gives Bayfield a special charm.
There are a number of guest houses and small inns in Bayfield. One of the most pleasant is the Old Rittenhouse Inn, open since 1975 and one of the oldest Bed & Breakfasts in the Midwest.
Charles Rittenhouse, of the famous Philadelphia family, was one of the early investors in Bayfield. Rittenhouse Avenue, the main street in Bayfield, is named after him. This house was actually built in 1890 for Allen Fuller, a prominent attorney in Illinois who summered here as a haven from hay fever.
There are some cute shops in Bayfield - but not too many. The place isn't yet overwhelmed with money, so none of the stores is terribly expensive. No chains, either. And no fudge shops.
This is Roxanne's, at the corner of 2nd and Rittenhouse Ave.
Pink flamingos are in the air at Maggies, a vulgarly cheerful tavern in central Bayfield. There's a restaurant here too,... more travel advice
This facility is operated by the National Park Service, and features a full explanation of the history, geology, and... more travel advice
yooperprof's Related Pages
Bayfield Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Beautiful Bayfield"
- "Superior Shores"
- "Davidp1952's new Bayfield Page"
- "Woody_H's new Bayfield Page"
- "Bayfield 1995"
- "A Pretty Town on the South Shore of Lake Superior"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bayfield
- Transportation in Bayfield
- Nightlife in Bayfield
- Restaurants in Bayfield
- Shopping in Bayfield
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bayfield
- 17 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (60)
Have you been to Bayfield?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bayfield
Photos in BayfieldSee All Photos (20)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 205 reviews, 391 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 82 reviews, 229 photos, 3 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 126 reviews, 161 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oslo Intro, 112 reviews, 173 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Milwaukee Intro, 102 reviews, 168 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 86 reviews, 176 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marquette Intro, 80 reviews, 151 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ottawa Intro, 67 reviews, 144 photos, 1 travelogue
- Montreal Intro, 70 reviews, 137 photos
- Kansas City Intro, 72 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues