"Eating my way through the Paper Valley" Appleton by yooperprof
Appleton Travel Guide: 55 reviews and 72 photos
I like to come down to Appleton - to the Fox River Valley in general - in order to shop, to visit friends, and to eat. It's become the culinary mecca of northeastern Wisconsin and the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.
GingerRootz Asian "Grille" [sic] is a new Pan-Asian restaurant on the northern edge of town. It's a little more sophisticated than your standard midwestern Chinese or Thai place. I stopped in for an excellent lunch - and would like to come back for dinner.
It's at 2920 N. Ballard, not far off Highway 41. I hate that "e" that they put at the end of "grill" - how pretentious!
Another upscale restaurant that's opened recently in Appleton is "Patina," on College Ave. downtown. It's part of the new "Boutique" Copper Leaf Hotel - aren't we getting fancy? Actually, my friends and I were a little disappointed when we came here for dinner. They didn't quite manage to "execute" our main entrees with the finesse and flavor that is required. We thought that small details need more attention - for example, our server was very ignorant about wine. If they want this to be a fine dining experience (and with their price structure, that is clearly what they are aiming for), they still have some fine-tuning to do here.
Come to the Casbah? No, the Casa Blanca in downtown Appleton is actually a Latin American Restaurant, featuring cuisines from Cuban to Argentinian and places in between. It may be a little adventurous for the Paper Valley, but my friends Dmitri and Dana love it - it's become their favorite "date place" in the quad cities! On my last visit, Dmitri took me here for lunch, and I'd have to say I'm quite impressed. I had tortilla soup and a Cubano sandwich - both excellent. I'll be stopping in here again.
531 W. College, Appleton
- Pros:An emerging commercial and cultural center in northeastern Wisconsin
The "Museum at the Castle" in Appleton is operated by the Outagamie County Historical Society. The building was... more travel advice
Appleton's airport is convenient and modern, offering regular air service to a number of major hubs around the Midwest... more travel advice
yooperprof's Related Pages
Appleton Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Fox Cities Center"
- "Appleton/Fox Cities: Quality of Life COUNTS!!!"
- "Classic American City"
- "I Live HERE!"
- "Eating my way through the Paper Valley"
- "The Big Apple(ton)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Appleton
- Hotels in Appleton
- Transportation in Appleton
- Nightlife in Appleton
- Restaurants in Appleton
- Shopping in Appleton
- Warnings and Dangers in Appleton
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Appleton
- 6 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (58)
Have you been to Appleton?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Appleton
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 206 reviews, 394 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 82 reviews, 229 photos, 3 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 126 reviews, 161 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oslo Intro, 112 reviews, 173 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Milwaukee Intro, 102 reviews, 168 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 86 reviews, 176 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marquette Intro, 80 reviews, 151 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ottawa Intro, 67 reviews, 144 photos, 1 travelogue
- Montreal Intro, 70 reviews, 137 photos
- Kansas City Intro, 72 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues