"Yakima - Central Washington's Desert Capital" Top 5 Page for this destination Yakima by yooperprof
Yakima Travel Guide: 45 reviews and 109 photos
Say you're going to Washington State and everyone will imagine Seattle, Puget Sound, and the forests of the Cascade and Olympic Mountains. But there's another Washington State on the eastern side of the mountains. (Actually, there are several other Washingtons.) The central valley of Washington is a dry desert region, and yet it is also one of the United States most productive agricultural regions, thanks to the bounteous waters that flow through the Yakima and Columbia rivers. Yakima is the largest city in central Washington, and something of a hub for the entire region.
I have friends in Yakima who I visit regularly when I am out in the Northwest. They are a married couple, both originally from the upper peninsula of Michigan, but they moved out west for employment opportunities. Yakima is a far cry from the great North Woods, but they tell me that the area grows on you after a while. It's also a very interesting region culturally - large Hispanic and native American communities.
Driving from Seattle to Yakima is a crash course in the effects of geography on climate and vegetation. You leave the lush, damp Puget Sound region to climb into the foothills of the Northern Cascades. Snoqualmie Pass, at 3022, is a mountain pass that would not be out of place in the Colorado Rockies. But then driving down I-90 you enter into the "precipiation shadow" caused by the mountain chain, and the land become steadily dryer and more barren. I-90 continues eastward across more desert terrain toward Spokane; in order to reach Yakima you take I-82 up and over the scenic Saddle Mountains. There are attractive views from roadside pull-offs on either side of the interstate. I took this photo in the winter of 2004, after the valley had been blanketed by a dusting of light snow.)
- Pros:The surrounding desert has a particular beauty
- Cons:Intensive agribusiness and strong class divisions in town
Perhaps one of the oldest surviving structures in Yakima? more travel advice
The Yakima County Jail is nothing if not austere - but it does its job without being a complete blot upon its... more travel advice
yooperprof's Related Pages
Yakima Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The gentle face of the future America"
- "Yakima - Central Washington's Desert Capital"
- "matt34747's new Yakima Page"
- "Yakima, Washington"
- "seattlegirl's Yakima Page"
- "Elkmilk's new Yakima Page"
- "Economic Center of Fruit Growing Region"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Yakima
- Hotels in Yakima
- Transportation in Yakima
- Nightlife in Yakima
- Restaurants in Yakima
- Warnings and Dangers in Yakima
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Yakima
- 17 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (113)
Have you been to Yakima?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Yakima
Photos in YakimaSee All Photos (20)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 205 reviews, 391 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 82 reviews, 229 photos, 3 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 126 reviews, 161 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oslo Intro, 112 reviews, 173 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Milwaukee Intro, 102 reviews, 168 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 86 reviews, 176 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marquette Intro, 80 reviews, 151 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ottawa Intro, 67 reviews, 144 photos, 1 travelogue
- Montreal Intro, 70 reviews, 137 photos
- Kansas City Intro, 72 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues