"Sam Hill's Passion - Culture Comes to the Gorge" Maryhill by yooperprof
Maryhill Travel Guide: 19 reviews and 91 photos
Maryhill is a small town on the Washington side of the Columbia Gorge. It boasts a full-size replica of Stonehenge, and a museum largely dedicated to Queen Marie of Romania. You never know what you're going to discover in Small-town America! Outside Maryhill are some amazing views of the Columbia River Gorge, a place which well-desrves its designation as a National Scenic Area.
Maryhill is the product of a genuine American visionary and eccentric, Sam Hill. Hill was a brilliant Seattle area businessmen, entrepreneur, and enthusiast for cement. This turn of the century visionary hoped to make the desert bloom, with the aid of cultivation, irrigation, and paved roads. The desert did not bloom, but Hill's legacy can be seen in the Maryhill Musuem, in the replica of Stonehenge which he build to honor the dead of World War I, and in many of the roads that line the rim of the beautiful Columbia Gorge.
The Columbia River is heavily dammed, both here and upstream. It's not so great for the river itself, or for the wildlife which formerly inhabited the region, but it is quite advantageous for the agricultural, industrial, and urban consumers of the cheap electricity which the dams produce. What are you gonna do?
- In a nutshell:A good place to explore the Columbia Gorge
Maryhill State Park is a popular place to launch your surf=sail. I'm not about to go windsurfing, but I like to watch... more travel advice
yooperprof's Related Pages
Maryhill Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Maryhill, WA"
- "Eccentric Estate and Vinyards and Wineries"
- "Sam Hill's Passion - Culture Comes to the Gorge"
- "A short detour along the Columbia River"
- "Fact stranger than fiction.."
- "Basaic Maryhill Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Maryhill
- Hotels in Maryhill
- Transportation in Maryhill
- Shopping in Maryhill
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Maryhill
- 7 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (115)
Have you been to Maryhill?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Maryhill
Photos in MaryhillSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 205 reviews, 391 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 82 reviews, 229 photos, 3 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 126 reviews, 161 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oslo Intro, 112 reviews, 173 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Milwaukee Intro, 102 reviews, 168 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 86 reviews, 176 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marquette Intro, 80 reviews, 151 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ottawa Intro, 67 reviews, 144 photos, 1 travelogue
- Montreal Intro, 70 reviews, 137 photos
- Kansas City Intro, 72 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues