"The Start of the East" Pittsburgh by yooperprof

Pittsburgh Travel Guide: 762 reviews and 1,858 photos

One of My Favorite American Cities

When I lived in Wheeling West Viriginia I would drive up to Pittsburgh every chance I could get. Happily, it was only about an hour to the "Golden Triangle" from my apartment, and it was possible to go very frequently. I always felt glad to get out of West Virginia, and Pittsburgh seemed incredibly cosmopolitan, diverse, and even elegant after the questionable banality of Wheeling. Oh - and I dated a cute guy in Pittsburgh. So I have good memories of the place.

Three Rivers: the Monongahela and the Allegheny combine to form the Ohio - which then flows northward for 35 miles until it levels out and then begins its general southerly flow toward the Mississippi. The rivers are crossed by a lot of bridges, and it can be a challenge to figure out how to get on or off them - they don't always go where you think they should. I love the rivers of Pittsburgh: their confluence here is the reason why this is an important place.

• Pros:Hills, tunnels, and bridges
  • Cons:It's very confusing to drive in Pittsburgh
  • In a nutshell:Where the Monongahela meets the Allegheny
  • Last visit to Pittsburgh: May 2000
  • Intro Updated Jan 21, 2004

• Updated Comment
    Travmad's Profile Photo
    Jul 23, 2006 at 5:39 PM

Interesting stuff. Some I didn't know about. Thanks. Great pages. I stayed at th eOmni when it was the William Penn nice room but I was out most of the night.

Other comments
  • Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Sep 12, 2009 at 6:33 AM

Hi Chet, with a view to the upcoming G20 meeting the German papers have started running articles on Pittsburgh, so I thought I'd come and get your take on it. Nice tips, and I like your "Sunday morning quiet" photo.

• Gammy1968's Profile Photo
    Apr 4, 2007 at 6:42 AM

I have only been through the airport a couple of times when visiting my in-laws further up north PA so it´s always good to read what I should come see some day! Claudia

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Dec 29, 2004 at 8:40 PM

Chet, another very interesting group of pages about a fascinating city. Loved your introduction. Enjoyed the cemetery photos and info.

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo
    Nov 22, 2004 at 9:16 AM

Great memories here from the four years I lived in Pennsylvania.

• Zmrzlina's Profile Photo
    Aug 23, 2004 at 4:39 PM

Love your Pittsburgh pages. I am brand new to the city and absolutely adore it.

yooperprof

“from da u.p. to da world”

Badges & Stats in Pittsburgh

Have you been to Pittsburgh?

Latest Activity in Pittsburgh