"The Start of the East" Pittsburgh by yooperprof
Pittsburgh Travel Guide: 775 reviews and 1,912 photos
When I lived in Wheeling West Viriginia I would drive up to Pittsburgh every chance I could get. Happily, it was only about an hour to the "Golden Triangle" from my apartment, and it was possible to go very frequently. I always felt glad to get out of West Virginia, and Pittsburgh seemed incredibly cosmopolitan, diverse, and even elegant after the questionable banality of Wheeling. Oh - and I dated a cute guy in Pittsburgh. So I have good memories of the place.
Three Rivers: the Monongahela and the Allegheny combine to form the Ohio - which then flows northward for 35 miles until it levels out and then begins its general southerly flow toward the Mississippi. The rivers are crossed by a lot of bridges, and it can be a challenge to figure out how to get on or off them - they don't always go where you think they should. I love the rivers of Pittsburgh: their confluence here is the reason why this is an important place.
- Pros:Hills, tunnels, and bridges
- Cons:It's very confusing to drive in Pittsburgh
- In a nutshell:Where the Monongahela meets the Allegheny
The great American songwriter Stephen Foster was born here - actually in Lawrenceville - and although he died in New... more travel advice
The great tower of learning at the University of Pittsburgh is a deserved landmark of American Higher Education. 42... more travel advice
yooperprof's Related Pages
Pittsburgh Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "PITTSBURGH--Cultural, Sports Crazy, Riverside City"
- "Welcome back, Sid."
- "Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania"
- "Beautiful and Historical Pittsburgh"
- "My "O"riginal home town..."
- "Welcome to the 'Burgh!"
- "Pittsburgh - the largest city of the Appalachia"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Pittsburgh
- Hotels in Pittsburgh
- Transportation in Pittsburgh
- Nightlife in Pittsburgh
- Restaurants in Pittsburgh
- Shopping in Pittsburgh
- Warnings and Dangers in Pittsburgh
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Pittsburgh
- 10 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (114)
Have you been to Pittsburgh?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pittsburgh
Photos in PittsburghSee All Photos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 205 reviews, 391 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 82 reviews, 229 photos, 3 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 126 reviews, 161 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oslo Intro, 112 reviews, 173 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Milwaukee Intro, 102 reviews, 168 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 86 reviews, 176 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marquette Intro, 80 reviews, 151 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ottawa Intro, 67 reviews, 144 photos, 1 travelogue
- Montreal Intro, 70 reviews, 137 photos
- Kansas City Intro, 72 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues