"On the Banks of the Maumee" Top 5 Page for this destination Toledo by yooperprof
Toledo Travel Guide: 75 reviews and 155 photos
If you like gritty industrial cities, then Toledo is the place for you. If you think that Cleveland has gotten too touristy over the last few years, then Toledo is the place for you. If you are looking for a quick getaway from Detroit, then Toledo is the place.
But here's the rub - Toledo has one of the greatest art museums in North America. If there's only one thing you do in Toledo, it's gotta be a visit to this remarkable collection of masterpieces from every continent and every era. (This "piece" is actually from the acclaimed Paris Metro system. The designer Hector Guimard created this Art Nouveau classic in 1900, and it makes a whimsical addition to the Wells Sculpture Garden at the Museum.)
It makes sense that Toledo should have good beer - a gritty industrial city with a large central European population, located close to America's grain producing region. The Maumee Bay Brewing Co. is an excellent brewpub located close to downtown in a well-maintained complex that includes the Oliver Hotel.
- Pros:The Art Museum lives up to its Reputation
- Cons:Jamie Farr doesn't live here anymore
A new acquistion at the Public Library is this striking glass "piece" by Washington State glass artist Dale Chihuly.... more travel advice
I guess you could describe the artistic style of these murals as "Soviet Heroic Realism" - except that they are in the... more travel advice
- See All The Lucas County Courthouse - Downtown...
- Tasty brews and good noshing
- See All The View from My Hotel Room
yooperprof's Related Pages
Toledo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "On the Banks of the Maumee"
- "Toledo Zoo"
- "Birthed by the Maumee River"
- "Toledo, Ohio"
- "Toledo , OH"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Toledo
- Hotels in Toledo
- Transportation in Toledo
- Restaurants in Toledo
- Shopping in Toledo
- Warnings and Dangers in Toledo
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Toledo
- 19 Reviews
- 28 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (57)
Have you been to Toledo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Toledo
- Posted in Travel Chicago Forum "Re: Pilsen area Safe?"
- Commented on one of chercarousel's Toledo travel pages
- Wrote a Review Chihuly Glass at the Public Library in Toledo Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Photo to "Library Murals"
- created a Toledo Travelogue "Some Victorian Beauties in Toledo (Old Houses)"
Photos in ToledoSee All Photos (28)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 206 reviews, 394 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 82 reviews, 229 photos, 3 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 126 reviews, 161 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oslo Intro, 112 reviews, 173 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Milwaukee Intro, 102 reviews, 168 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 86 reviews, 176 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marquette Intro, 80 reviews, 151 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ottawa Intro, 67 reviews, 144 photos, 1 travelogue
- Montreal Intro, 70 reviews, 137 photos
- Kansas City Intro, 72 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues