"On the Banks of the Maumee" Top 5 Page for this destination Toledo by yooperprof

Toledo Travel Guide: 76 reviews and 160 photos

Holy Toledo, Batman

If you like gritty industrial cities, then Toledo is the place for you. If you think that Cleveland has gotten too touristy over the last few years, then Toledo is the place for you. If you are looking for a quick getaway from Detroit, then Toledo is the place.

Toledo Treasures

But here's the rub - Toledo has one of the greatest art museums in North America. If there's only one thing you do in Toledo, it's gotta be a visit to this remarkable collection of masterpieces from every continent and every era. (This "piece" is actually from the acclaimed Paris Metro system. The designer Hector Guimard created this Art Nouveau classic in 1900, and it makes a whimsical addition to the Wells Sculpture Garden at the Museum.)

Good Beer in Toledo

It makes sense that Toledo should have good beer - a gritty industrial city with a large central European population, located close to America's grain producing region. The Maumee Bay Brewing Co. is an excellent brewpub located close to downtown in a well-maintained complex that includes the Oliver Hotel.

• Pros:The Art Museum lives up to its Reputation
  • Cons:Jamie Farr doesn't live here anymore
  • Last visit to Toledo: Mar 2003
  • Intro Updated May 1, 2003

• BillNJ's Profile Photo
    Aug 24, 2009 at 4:12 PM

Very informative and entertaining commentary about Toledo.! I've had brief layovers in the airport (on my way to South Bend) -- but, unfortunately, did not have a chance to explore. But, ugh, Frank Gehry! (see the rant on my Düsseldorf page). Cheers, Bill

• Carmanah's Profile Photo
    Apr 24, 2007 at 3:18 PM

What a hilarious introduction - great way to sell Toledo to tourists! You know, I've often heard of Toledo, Ohio, but never knew anything about it. Now I do. Sort of. Haha... thanks!

• davidtahd's Profile Photo
    Jan 21, 2007 at 6:31 AM

Thanks for all the photos and great info. I am enjoying your international Travel Pages including a visitors view of my hometown of Toledo, OH. I would like to check out the MI UP some time. Take Care, Todd

• WILDEFLOWER's Profile Photo
    Mar 26, 2004 at 8:24 PM

Great page and I'll make sure I don't stay at the Ramada thanks! love the old down to the grind work of Ohio here ! wildeflower

• Jul 18, 2003 at 6:08 AM

I am a native Toledoan and have worked in several hotels in the area for the past 10 years. The Ramada is THE WORST hotel in the area. Dirty linens, no managers and mice.

• b1bob's Profile Photo
    May 5, 2003 at 2:11 PM

I enjoy reading about gritty rust belt cities.

• keeweechic's Profile Photo
    May 1, 2003 at 7:39 PM

Jamie's not there?? :-)... The Art Museums sure sounds worth a visit and quite a mix of architecture there - old and new. Pity they don't try and restore more of the run down buildings. Tks for the tour.

• sambarnett's Profile Photo
    Apr 16, 2003 at 7:26 PM

I wasn't thinking "Holy Toledo, Batman" but I was thinking about the Mudhens. Great page, excellent lead picture! Looks like my kinda place. ;-)

• zrim's Profile Photo
    Apr 16, 2003 at 11:51 AM

When I saw you built a page on Toledo I was all excited because I wanted to leave the comment "Holy Toldeo, Batman" But you used it on the opening page. So is it great minds that think alike--or is it small minds?

yooperprof

“from da u.p. to da world”

Badges & Stats in Toledo