"Remember the Red River Valley" Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Forks by yooperprof
Grand Forks Travel Guide: 39 reviews and 60 photos
"Red River Valley" is a famous 19th century folk song that was popularized as a "cowboy ballad" in the 1920s. Woody and Arlo Guthrie both recorded covers of the song.
The Red River Valley is also a rich and fertlle region which is recent years has been prone to a series of devastating spring floods. (My climate science friends say that people in this area had better be prepared for much more flooding in the future!)
This photo is of a flood marker in the downtown area of Grand Forks. In the flood of 1997, the waters were as high as the top of monument.
From this valley they say you are going.
We will miss your bright eyes and sweet smile,
For they say you are taking the sunshine
That has brightened our pathway a while.
So come sit by my side if you love me.
Do not hasten to bid me adieu.
Just remember the Red River Valley,
And the one that has loved you so true.
Grand Forks ND was established in the late 19th century by steamboat captain Alexander Griggs (1838-1903), a partner with railway magnate James Hill in opening the Red River Valley to settlement and development. The piece was unveiled in 2001, and is the work of lMinneapolis-based artists Nicholas Legeros and Heidi Hoy.
Great bakery and cafe with tasty soups and satisfying desserts, in central downtown Grand Forks. Wholesome and... more travel advice
Excellent local landmark, especially recommended for hearty, big-portion breakfasts. more travel advice
yooperprof's Related Pages
Grand Forks Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Cold and flat - a Grand Forks Survivial Guide"
- "Basaic Grand Forks Page"
- "Remember the Red River Valley"
- "The only thing I ever did here"
- "North Dakota"
- "Grand Forks"
- "Thunder in Red River"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Grand Forks
- Hotels in Grand Forks
- Transportation in Grand Forks
- Nightlife in Grand Forks
- Restaurants in Grand Forks
- Shopping in Grand Forks
- Warnings and Dangers in Grand Forks
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Grand Forks
- 4 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (60)
Have you been to Grand Forks?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Grand Forks
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 206 reviews, 394 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 82 reviews, 229 photos, 3 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 126 reviews, 161 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oslo Intro, 112 reviews, 173 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Milwaukee Intro, 102 reviews, 168 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 86 reviews, 176 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marquette Intro, 80 reviews, 151 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ottawa Intro, 67 reviews, 144 photos, 1 travelogue
- Montreal Intro, 70 reviews, 137 photos
- Kansas City Intro, 72 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues