"The Gateway to East Central Missouri" Saint Louis by yooperprof
Saint Louis Travel Guide: 1,159 reviews and 2,108 photos
Two hundred years ago, in the summer of 1804, Meriweather Lewis and William Clark set out from St. Louis on a famous expedition of exploration and discovery that helped to define the American character. American history is written into the fibre and fabric of this place - both for good and for bad. For example, the important Dred Scott case was argued here in the 1850s St. Louis Federal Courthouse, still standing downtown in the shadow of the arch.
The Old Courthouse sits serenely in the shadow of the arch, historic and graceful amidst the bustle of downtown St. Louis and its offices, conventions and ball games.
The Olympic Flame - which burned in St. Louis in the summer of 1904 - returned this summer as it made its progress through the United States and around the world. Francis Field, on the campus of Washington University, was the site of the track and field events in 1904, and so it was wonderfully appropriate to have the torch come back here 100 years later. This gentleman - who has obviously seen a number of Olympics himself - was given the honor of carrying the flame into Francis Field.
- Pros:The Old Courthouse downtown, Forest Park, Ted Drews, the CWE
- Cons:depopulation, decay, destruction of the urban fabric
This mid-rise office building at the corner of Broadway and Pine reminds me of the hanging gardens of Babylon. I admire... more travel advice
This imposing statue of Thomas Jefferson dominates the entrance hall of the Jefferson Memorial, now part of the Missouri... more travel advice
yooperprof's Related Pages
Saint Louis Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "St. Louis Has Many Surprises, for Everyone!"
- "The Symbols of the City"
- ""Meet Me In St. Louis" is Not Just a Song Title"
- "Saint Louis"
- "My Home Town"
- "The Gateway to East Central Missouri"
- "St. Louiis - Gateway to the Wild Wild West"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Saint Louis
- Hotels in Saint Louis
- Transportation in Saint Louis
- Nightlife in Saint Louis
- Restaurants in Saint Louis
- Shopping in Saint Louis
- Warnings and Dangers in Saint Louis
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Saint Louis
- 41 Reviews
- 84 Photos
- 5 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (114)
Have you been to Saint Louis?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Saint Louis
- updated a Saint Louis Travel Page "The Gateway to East Central Missouri"
- Posted in Travel Chicago Forum "Re: Where to stay?"
- Commented on one of BruceDunning's Saint Louis travel pages
- Wrote a Review Downtown - Saint Louis Place (1983) in Saint Louis General
- Uploaded a Photo to "Downtown - Saint Louis Place (1983)"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 205 reviews, 391 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 82 reviews, 229 photos, 3 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 126 reviews, 161 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oslo Intro, 112 reviews, 173 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Milwaukee Intro, 102 reviews, 168 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 86 reviews, 176 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marquette Intro, 80 reviews, 151 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ottawa Intro, 67 reviews, 144 photos, 1 travelogue
- Montreal Intro, 70 reviews, 137 photos
- Kansas City Intro, 72 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues