"Show Me Historic Missouri" Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Charles by yooperprof
Saint Charles Travel Guide: 45 reviews and 86 photos
Main Street St. Charles is a veritable museum of 19th century building styles. For good reason, St. Charles has become a popular destination for day-trippers, crafters, and history buffs from the entire region. It's also a casebook in successful historic preservation. With recently added attractions like the Lewis & Clark boathouse, and the trailhead for the admirable KATY trail, St. Charles is a place where you'll want to linger. (They also have a riverboat casino in St. Charles - if that's your thing.)
This photo was taken pretty early on a Saturday morning. By mid-morning, Main Street was busy with auto and pedestrian traffic.
St Charles was made the temporary State Capital, 1821-1826, by act of the First General Assembly, meeting in St. Louis, 1820. Here the legislature, by affirming in a "Solemn Public Act" that the rights of any US citizen would not be abridged, met the final Congressional requirement for Statehood. Debate over the slavery issue that greeted Missouri's petition for statehood resolved itself in the Missouri Compromise of 1820. Slavery was prohibited north of 36"20' except in Missouri. On Aug. 10, 1821, Missouri became the 24th state.
Near hear is the junction of the Missouri and Mississippi. Marquette and Jolliet noted this point in 1673, and here the Lewis & Clark Expedition began its ascent of the Missouri in 1804. Three bridges cross the Missouri and two the Mississippi in St. Charles County.
Seat of justice for one of Missouri's first 5 counties, earlier one of 5 Spanish districts, St. Charles serves a farming and industrial area. Here are the old Capitol; Sacred Heart Convent; St. Charles Borromeo Cemetary; and Lindenwood College, chartered in 1853, founded earlier by George and Mary Sibley, one of the oldest schools for women in the Mississippi Valley.
- Pros:an interesting collection of well-preserved historic homes and shops
- Cons:maybe too many "country charm" shops and ice cream parlors
Lovely place for a pleasant light lunch on a spring day - with indoor seating for those thunderstormy days as well.... more travel advice
I miss cabooses. The word caboose is from Middle Dutch, _kabuys_, meaning cabin house or ship's galley. more travel advice
yooperprof's Related Pages
Saint Charles Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Oldest City on the Missouri River"
- "Take a walk back in time"
- "Show Me Historic Missouri"
- "brdwtchr's new Saint Charles Page"
- "Original Missouri State Capital"
- "My Las Vegas Trip"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Saint Charles
- Hotels in Saint Charles
- Transportation in Saint Charles
- Nightlife in Saint Charles
- Restaurants in Saint Charles
- Shopping in Saint Charles
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Saint Charles
- 15 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (57)
Have you been to Saint Charles?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Saint Charles
Photos in Saint CharlesSee All Photos (19)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 206 reviews, 394 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 82 reviews, 229 photos, 3 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 126 reviews, 161 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oslo Intro, 112 reviews, 173 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Milwaukee Intro, 102 reviews, 168 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 86 reviews, 176 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marquette Intro, 80 reviews, 151 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ottawa Intro, 67 reviews, 144 photos, 1 travelogue
- Montreal Intro, 70 reviews, 137 photos
- Kansas City Intro, 72 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues