"Mid-Missouri County Seat" Marshall by yooperprof
Marshall Travel Guide: 7 reviews and 8 photos
A classic American County Courthouse - late nineteenth century civic pride. Marshall is the seat of Saline County, and has a population of about 12,000. It has a traditional courthouse square, with a one-way traffic pattern that took a while for me to figure out. I didn't notice anything was wrong until I realized that all the parked cars were (slant-wise) going the other way. Fortunately for me, there was no other traffic on it - in the middle of a Saturday afternoon.
The town of Marshall is named after John Marshall, dominant Chief Justice of the United States Supreme Court from 1801 to 1835. Not coincidentally, that was the period which saw Missouri achieve statehood; most placenames in this region date from that era. (Two of the main streets that define the Courthouse Square are Jefferson and LaFayette.)
In Marshall, the Courthouse Square is the focal point of the town, even if it seemed awfully sleepy on a Saturday afternoon. Churches, funeral homes, law offices, restaurants, and tool shops congregate around the square. The buildings are all one or two stories in height, with the single exception of this three story construction on the southeast corner.
yooperprof's Related Pages
Marshall Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My Marshall, Missouri Page"
- "Marshall, Missouri"
- "Mid-Missouri County Seat"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Marshall
- Restaurants in Marshall
- Warnings and Dangers in Marshall
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Marshall
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (113)
Have you been to Marshall?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Marshall
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 205 reviews, 391 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 82 reviews, 229 photos, 3 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 126 reviews, 161 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oslo Intro, 112 reviews, 173 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Milwaukee Intro, 102 reviews, 168 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 86 reviews, 176 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marquette Intro, 80 reviews, 151 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ottawa Intro, 67 reviews, 144 photos, 1 travelogue
- Montreal Intro, 70 reviews, 137 photos
- Kansas City Intro, 72 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues