"The Iron Curtain Descended Here" Fulton by yooperprof
Fulton Travel Guide: 11 reviews and 24 photos
. . . the Adriatic an iron curtain has descended across the Continent. Behind that line lie all the capitals of the ancient states of Central and Eastern Europe."
The memorable words of Winston Churchill rang out on the campus of Westminster College in May 1946, as the former Prime Minister of the United Kingdom gave a major foreign policy address to an audience of assembled dignitaries (and college students) - and the President of the US, Harry Truman, who had accompanied Churchill to Fulton, in his own home state of Missouri.
The Iron Curtain speech brought international attention to Fulton, and to Westminster College, and appropriately enough, Churchill is still remembered here for the important role that he played in shaping the modern world.
In the 1960s, the citizens of Fulton decided to commemorate Winston Churchill's Iron Curtain speech in a big way. They were able to obtain permission from the necessary authorities to relocate one of the bombed-out Christopher Wren Churches from the City of London, shipping it stone by stone across the Atlantic and re-assembling it on the campus of Westminister College, not far from the hall where the speech was given. St. Mary the Virgin Aldermanbury thus was reborn in central Missouri, opening in 1966 in time for the 20th anniversary commemorations of the original address.
The Church now serves a multitude of functions for the college - and the basement (crypt) houses a museum/archives dedicated to Sir Winston.
It's a beautiful building: Wren was a world-class architect. I don't know if they still do, but in the past the College used to allow weddings to take place in St. Mary the Virgin. Back in the 1990s I attended such a ceremony; and the couple gave me the honor of asking me to read a famous Shakespeare sonnet from the pulpit as part of the ceremony.
yooperprof's Related Pages
Fulton Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Fulton...small town with a storied past..."
- "Fulton, Missouri"
- "Welcome to Fulton, MO!"
- "The Iron Curtain Descended Here"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Fulton
- 1 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (57)
Have you been to Fulton?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Fulton
Photos in FultonSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 206 reviews, 394 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 82 reviews, 229 photos, 3 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 126 reviews, 161 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oslo Intro, 112 reviews, 173 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Milwaukee Intro, 102 reviews, 168 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 86 reviews, 176 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marquette Intro, 80 reviews, 151 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ottawa Intro, 67 reviews, 144 photos, 1 travelogue
- Montreal Intro, 70 reviews, 137 photos
- Kansas City Intro, 72 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues