"Pig's Eye Landing" Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Paul by yooperprof
Saint Paul Travel Guide: 284 reviews and 557 photos
The original white settlement on the banks of the Mississippi here was called "Pig's Eye Landing." Now, wouldn't that have been a much better name? Certainly it would be more memorable. I suppose they could have dropped "Landing" and just called it "Pig's Eye," and it still would stands out in a colorful and historic way.
(I did a VT "places" search for "Pig's Eye," and there's only two: "Pig's Eye Island Number 1," and "Pig's Eye Island Number 2." (Neither one of them has any tips.) But if you do a "places" search for St. Paul, you'll find 7 full pages worth.)
At any rate, they really know how to enjoy summer here in Pig's Eye. They have to, since they have six months of winter. You could call this photo my homage to Renoir. It was taken at the outdoor patio of the W.A. Frost Restaurant in the fashionable Ramsey Hill neighborhood.
You might not think of St. Paul as a likely place for such a large and well-situated Cathedral, but it just goes to show you that there's more to Minnesota than Lutherans and Lutefisk. The spire atop the dome reaches a heigh of 306 feet above the ground, and the nave of the Cathedral can easily accomodate 5,000 people. How's that for Superlatives?
The Architect of the Cathedral was a Frenchman, Emmanuel Masqueray, trained at the prestigious Ecole des Beaux Arts in Paris. Incidentally, he was also chief designer for the 1904 St. Louis World's Fair. Construction on the Cathedral began in 1904 and was not completed until 1941 when the Rose Windows were installed. As they say, St. Paul wasn't built in a day.
Good views of the Mississippi from Kellogg Mall in downtown St. Paul. The gentle sweep of the river reminds me of the... more travel advice
Regional artist Georgette Sosin created this piece which stands in the middle of the Kellogg Mall in downtown St. Paul.... more travel advice
- Downtown Business/Standard Accomodation
- See All The Blair Arcade
- See All Historic Setting, dining al fresco, and...
yooperprof's Related Pages
Saint Paul Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "St. Paul - Minnesota's Grand Old City"
- "Saint Paul"
- "Saint Paul, Minnesota"
- "St. Paul, Minnesota"
- "Pig's Eye Landing"
- "Minnesota's State Capital"
- "The Elder Brother of the Twin Cities"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Saint Paul
- Hotels in Saint Paul
- Transportation in Saint Paul
- Nightlife in Saint Paul
- Restaurants in Saint Paul
- Shopping in Saint Paul
- Warnings and Dangers in Saint Paul
- See All...
Explore the World
- Dinosaur Provincial Park Hotels
- Morrow Mountain State Park Hotels
- Laguna Beach
- Arraial do Cabo
- Bodega Bay
- Nuevo Progreso Hotels
- Clermont Hotels
- Province of Ilocos Sur
- Steamboat Springs Hotels
- Llyn Gwynant Hotels
- San Vicente de la Barquera
Badges & Stats in Saint Paul
- 33 Reviews
- 36 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (57)
Have you been to Saint Paul?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Saint Paul
Photos in Saint PaulSee All Photos (36)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 200 reviews, 374 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 82 reviews, 229 photos, 3 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 126 reviews, 161 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oslo Intro, 112 reviews, 173 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 86 reviews, 176 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Milwaukee Intro, 101 reviews, 159 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marquette Intro, 80 reviews, 151 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ottawa Intro, 67 reviews, 144 photos, 1 travelogue
- Montreal Intro, 70 reviews, 137 photos
- Kansas City Intro, 72 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (37)
Latest Saint Paul hotel reviews
- Holiday Inn St Paul Downtown
- 113 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 31, 2013
- Midway Motel
- 9 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 2, 2013
- DoubleTree By Hilton Hotel St Paul Downtown
- 171 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 13, 2013
- Holiday Inn St. Paul East
- 79 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 6, 2013
- Crowne Plaza Hotel St Paul Riverfront
- 248 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 17, 2013
- Best Western Kelly Inn
- 114 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 13, 2013
- Best Western Bandana Square
- 136 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 10, 2013
- Days Inn St Paul Minneapolis Midway
- 89 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 12, 2013
- Saint Paul Hotel
- 269 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 14, 2013