"Shoe City" Red Wing by yooperprof
Red Wing Travel Guide: 39 reviews and 70 photos
An industrial town that offers a glimpse into the early history of Minnesota, Red Wing is a pleasant river town a short drive from the Twin Cities. As a Mississippi port town, Red Wing was for a brief the most important wheat depot in the USA. Later it re-invented itself as an center for manufacturing and services. Red Wing is unusually interesting and unusually well-preserved, with a beautiful historic district which is both commercial and cultural in orientations. Those of you who are interested in small town America should definitely consider a stop in Red Wing.
There is a dramatic bend in the Mississippi at Red Wing - it's said that the river takes the bend north of the town is the sharpest navigable turn on the entire river. Also, an island in the middle of the river narrows the width of the water and makes it more "tamable." Long before Euro-man came to this region, the local Dakota people had chosen this site as an important settlement.
The first white settlements occurred here in the 1850s, and by 1870 Red Wing had a permanent population of over 4000.
"Where all the women are strong, the men are good-looking, and the children above-average."
The folks in Red Wing have been unusually resourceful. First wheat-trading, then flour milling, then manufacturing (shoes and pottery) have all been important components of the local economy. Now Red Wing is taking advantage of its relative proximity to the big Twin Cities to market itself as a weekend holiday "getaway" from the pressures of the metropolis. Small town America does have its charms when it is well-preserved and prosperous as Red Wing.
The Hawley House dates from 1874 and features a dramatic and pleasant front porch that extends the entire width of the... more travel advice
Beautiful "stick" style Queen Anne on Red Wing's model of historic home preservation, Fourth Street. more travel advice
yooperprof's Related Pages
Red Wing Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "River City"
- "Shoe City"
- "Red Wing"
- "On the hunt for Bald Eagles"
- "Wildlife Habitat"
- "Red Wing, Goodhue County, Minnesota"
- "Red Wing, US"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Red Wing
- Hotels in Red Wing
- Transportation in Red Wing
- Restaurants in Red Wing
- Shopping in Red Wing
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Red Wing
- 19 Reviews
- 29 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (113)
Have you been to Red Wing?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Red Wing
Photos in Red WingSee All Photos (29)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 205 reviews, 391 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 82 reviews, 229 photos, 3 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 126 reviews, 161 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oslo Intro, 112 reviews, 173 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Milwaukee Intro, 102 reviews, 168 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 86 reviews, 176 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marquette Intro, 80 reviews, 151 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ottawa Intro, 67 reviews, 144 photos, 1 travelogue
- Montreal Intro, 70 reviews, 137 photos
- Kansas City Intro, 72 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues