"You can "Bank" on Great Architecture here" Owatonna by yooperprof
Owatonna Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 26 photos
NATIONAL FARMER'S BANK OF OWATONNA
Banker Carl Bennett wanted more than a prominent new building to house his family's business. He wanted a work of art. Bennett's search for an architect led him in 1906 to Louis Sullivan, one of the country's most innovative designers. Together they created a magnificent home for the National Farmer's Bank in downtown Owatonna. This brilliant collaboration of patron and architect produced what many consider the finest small-town bank in America.
After helping to make Chicago the country's architectural capital in the 1890s, Sullivan came through with a bank design for Owatonna unlike any other. Believing that function and form of a building should complement one another, he conceived a structure resembling a treasure chest, a fitting image for a bank that housed people's savings.
Sullivan chose for his bank a theme that he used often - an arch within a square - then attached it to a rectangular office building. He combined those simple, monumental shapes with complex ornamental details that bring the building to life. Set in sandstone and brick walls are two monumental stained-glass windows, each framed by a wide-band of terra cotta - a hard molded clay - accented by a narrow band of glass mosaic.
I was looking for a decent lunch-place in the center of Owatonna on a Sunday afternoon, and El Tapatio was one of the... more travel advice
The Fireman's Hall stands at a corner of the town square, and is built in a classic Italian Romanesque style that... more travel advice
yooperprof's Related Pages
Owatonna Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "You can "Bank" on Great Architecture here"
- "WaltSpindler's new Owatonna Page"
- "Owatonna, MN"
- "Owatonna, US"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Owatonna
- 6 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (113)
Have you been to Owatonna?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Owatonna
Photos in OwatonnaSee All Photos (14)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 205 reviews, 391 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 82 reviews, 229 photos, 3 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 126 reviews, 161 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oslo Intro, 112 reviews, 173 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Milwaukee Intro, 102 reviews, 168 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 86 reviews, 176 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marquette Intro, 80 reviews, 151 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ottawa Intro, 67 reviews, 144 photos, 1 travelogue
- Montreal Intro, 70 reviews, 137 photos
- Kansas City Intro, 72 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues