"Great Carrying Place" Grand Portage by yooperprof
Grand Portage Travel Guide: 17 reviews and 25 photos
"The Grand Portage, or Great Carrying Place, was a key 18th century link between the Pigeon River and Lake Superior, making it a vital connection between Montreal and the rich fur-bearing lands far to the northwest. Travelled for centuries before by Native peoples, gthe 8.5 mile portage bypassed the unnavigable rapids and waterfalls on the lower 21 miles of the Pigeon River. Beginning about 1731, thousands of tons of furs and trade goods were carried across the Grand Portage on the backs of voyageurs. Each summer a grand Rendezvous was held on these grounds near Lake Superior. Most of the trade here was over by 1803, but use of the portage is still covered by an 1842 treaty."
Just because they were out of the edge of the northwoods doesn't mean that the leaders and directors of the North West Company would settle for common foods in humble surroundings. Every summer, the leaders of the great trading company would come out here from civilized Montreal to help supervise the trade. (Many of them were actually Scotsmen from the Old World.) When they dined together in the great hall, they enjoyed elegant foods with fine linens and china.
This is one of the fur storage barns at the Grand Portage site. If you look closely, you may notice it flying the red Northwest Company flag.
Offshore islands in extreme northeastern Minnesota, not far from the Canadian border. There are a number of pull-outs... more travel advice
After the falls and the gorge, the Pigeon River broadens as it nears Lake Superior. It helps explain why 19th century... more travel advice
yooperprof's Related Pages
Grand Portage Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "10,000 lakes... and how many waterfalls?"
- "Great Carrying Place"
- "Home and a place to visit"
- "Basaic Grand Portage Page"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Grand Portage
- 11 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (113)
Have you been to Grand Portage?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Grand Portage
Photos in Grand PortageSee All Photos (14)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 205 reviews, 391 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 82 reviews, 229 photos, 3 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 126 reviews, 161 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oslo Intro, 112 reviews, 173 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Milwaukee Intro, 102 reviews, 168 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 86 reviews, 176 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marquette Intro, 80 reviews, 151 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ottawa Intro, 67 reviews, 144 photos, 1 travelogue
- Montreal Intro, 70 reviews, 137 photos
- Kansas City Intro, 72 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues