"Gateway to the Mitt" Saint Ignace by yooperprof
Saint Ignace Travel Guide: 7 reviews and 18 photos
Lots of people picnic here in the summer. The white expanse below the treeline is Lake Michigan in wintertime hibernation.
"This lake, the sixth largest in the world, was discovered in 1634 by Jean Nicolet, who explored this north shore to Green Bay but found no Orientals as the French in Quebec had hoped he would. The general size and outline of the lake was established in the 1670s by Marquette and Jolliet. They named it Lake Michigan. Its elongated shape was an obstacle to transcontinental expansion, but its waters soon proved a real boon to commerce." (I'm sure that the native Americans were quite relieved when Nicolet "discovered" the lake!)
Five miles from shore to shore, the Straits of Mackinac Bridge is the only transportation link connecting the two separate peninsulas of Michigan. When it is windy or stormy, they will reduce the speed limit on the bridge to a snail's 20 mph - or perhaps shut it down entirely. One of the classic "Michigan" experiences is being stuck on "the wrong side" of the Bridge by an unpredictable winter storm - and not knowing how long you'll have to wait until the bridge is reopened. (By the way, in Yooperese a "troll" is anyone who lives "below the bridge" - that is, the 97% of the state's population that lives in the lower peninsula are "trolls".)
The Lake Michigan beaches along US 2 to the east of St. Ignace are some of the prettiest in the United States, IMHO. more travel advice
yooperprof's Related Pages
Saint Ignace Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Shores of lake Huron"
- "Gateway to the Mitt"
- "St. Ignace - The Gateway to the U.P."
- "St. Ignace, MI"
- "Basaic Saint Ignace Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Saint Ignace
- Hotels in Saint Ignace
- Restaurants in Saint Ignace
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Saint Ignace
- 2 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (114)
Have you been to Saint Ignace?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Saint Ignace
Photos in Saint IgnaceSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 205 reviews, 391 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 82 reviews, 229 photos, 3 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 126 reviews, 161 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oslo Intro, 112 reviews, 173 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Milwaukee Intro, 102 reviews, 168 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 86 reviews, 176 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marquette Intro, 80 reviews, 151 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ottawa Intro, 67 reviews, 144 photos, 1 travelogue
- Montreal Intro, 70 reviews, 137 photos
- Kansas City Intro, 72 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues