"On the shores of Gitche Gumee" Top 5 Page for this destination Munising by yooperprof
Munising Travel Guide: 76 reviews and 164 photos
And one season of major bug activity!
Munising is a small town in the Upper Peninsula which provides motels, restaurants, and recreational activities for those seeking to enjoy the great outdoors. There's plenty to do both on water and on land, as Munising has a superb harbor (with many shipwrecks, incidentally) and also serves as gateway to Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore.
My photo here shows Munising Falls in the PRNL in February. Yes, winter is long here, and real. Munising averages 240-270 inches of snow in a typical season. That makes it ideal for all sorts of winter activities, ranging from cross country ski-ing and snowmobiling to ice fishing and ice climbing (on waterfalls such as this one.)
Summers are lovely here, too - mild and fresh. And the fall colors are second to none in the United States, IMHO. The one season that I don't recommend you visit Munising is spring - the weather is cold, the woods are muddy, and the place is full of biting bugs. But spring is a short season - from about May 15 to July 1.
Here's a picture of the same falls, Munising Falls, in early summer, around the 1st of July.
- Pros:a great national lakeshore park
- Cons:mosquitos will get you in the spring
The Brownstone Inn is a favorite place of mine. It's a classic traditional "Road House" serving simple fare (but tasty)... more travel advice
The way to see and appreciate the Pictured Rocks is by water. So take your yacht up through the Soo Locks and navigate... more travel advice
yooperprof's Related Pages
Munising Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Land of Waterfalls and Pictured Rocks Lakeshore"
- "Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore"
- "On the shores of Gitche Gumee"
- "Say Yah to Da UP, Eh !"
- "A Nice Getaway"
- "Munising, Michigan by Kimberlyann"
- "A truly Superior place"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Munising
- Hotels in Munising
- Transportation in Munising
- Nightlife in Munising
- Restaurants in Munising
- Shopping in Munising
- Warnings and Dangers in Munising
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Munising
- 7 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (114)
Have you been to Munising?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Munising
- updated a Munising Travel Page "On the shores of Gitche Gumee"
- Posted in Travel Chicago Forum "Re: Where to stay?"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Miner's Castle on a Foggy Day in August"
- Wrote a Review Traditional "Road House" with Northwoods Feel in Munising Restaurants
- Commented on one of Bunsch's Munising travel pages
Photos in MunisingSee All Photos (20)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 205 reviews, 391 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 82 reviews, 229 photos, 3 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 126 reviews, 161 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oslo Intro, 112 reviews, 173 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Milwaukee Intro, 102 reviews, 168 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 86 reviews, 176 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marquette Intro, 80 reviews, 151 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ottawa Intro, 67 reviews, 144 photos, 1 travelogue
- Montreal Intro, 70 reviews, 137 photos
- Kansas City Intro, 72 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues