"The Rugged Alpine Region of Central Michigan" Mount Pleasant by yooperprof

Mount Pleasant Travel Guide: 24 reviews and 67 photos

One of many roadside pullouts

Here I am at one of many scenic overlooks in the Mount Pleasant region. Sometimes while driving you just need to stop, pull over, and take five to appreciate the splendor of the countryside. (These photos were taken in the spring of 1997. At that time I was driving a 1993 Grand Am - a car I remember with fondness. It was a fun car to drive -- too bad I "rolled" it while driving across Iowa in wintertime. Black ice. Ended upside down in a ditch, wheels spinning. I crawled out without a scratch but the Grand Am was totalled. C'est la vie.)

Mount Pleasant is surrounded by a charming "foothills" region. Mountainside villagers still follow their traditional way of life! When I visited my friend Ed in 1997, he lived in that bucolic Alpine farmhouse shown in the photo. The only downside was being wakened every morning by the clatter of cowbells from the nearby pasturelands.

On the CMU Campus

Central Michigan University is _relatively_ central geographically in the state of Michigan. Of course, a lot of people in the Detroit area regard this as "the North." Speaking as someone who has lived in the Upper Peninsula for 13 years, I can say that for me and other yoopers Mount Pleasant and C.M.U. are definitely _not_ part of northern Michigan. Ah well, geography is relative.

Central Michigan is one of four "compasspoint" school in the state. In addition, there's Eastern Michigan in Ypsilanti, Western Michigan in Kalamazoo, and my school Northern Michigan in Marquette. Oddly enough, there's no Southern Michigan University. Maybe that's what we ought to call that university in Ann Arbor.

• Pros:There's a big casino here
  • Cons:The high elevation is hard on people with respiratory ailments
  • In a nutshell:The seat of Isabella County
  • Last visit to Mount Pleasant: May 1997
  • Intro Written Jan 30, 2004

• Waalewiener's Profile Photo
    Jun 6, 2006 at 6:29 PM

Hi Chet ,I came to your pages because your name was mentioned by Kristi (Dabs ) I came TO have a look Wow Mount Pleasant , we go there often 4 times a year , but we just go for one day and one night I like the Casino and LoriPori likes the shopping

yooperprof

“from da u.p. to da world”

Badges & Stats in Mount Pleasant

Have you been to Mount Pleasant?