"The Rugged Alpine Region of Central Michigan" Mount Pleasant by yooperprof
Mount Pleasant Travel Guide: 24 reviews and 67 photos
Here I am at one of many scenic overlooks in the Mount Pleasant region. Sometimes while driving you just need to stop, pull over, and take five to appreciate the splendor of the countryside. (These photos were taken in the spring of 1997. At that time I was driving a 1993 Grand Am - a car I remember with fondness. It was a fun car to drive -- too bad I "rolled" it while driving across Iowa in wintertime. Black ice. Ended upside down in a ditch, wheels spinning. I crawled out without a scratch but the Grand Am was totalled. C'est la vie.)
Mount Pleasant is surrounded by a charming "foothills" region. Mountainside villagers still follow their traditional way of life! When I visited my friend Ed in 1997, he lived in that bucolic Alpine farmhouse shown in the photo. The only downside was being wakened every morning by the clatter of cowbells from the nearby pasturelands.
Central Michigan University is _relatively_ central geographically in the state of Michigan. Of course, a lot of people in the Detroit area regard this as "the North." Speaking as someone who has lived in the Upper Peninsula for 13 years, I can say that for me and other yoopers Mount Pleasant and C.M.U. are definitely _not_ part of northern Michigan. Ah well, geography is relative.
Central Michigan is one of four "compasspoint" school in the state. In addition, there's Eastern Michigan in Ypsilanti, Western Michigan in Kalamazoo, and my school Northern Michigan in Marquette. Oddly enough, there's no Southern Michigan University. Maybe that's what we ought to call that university in Ann Arbor.
- Pros:There's a big casino here
- Cons:The high elevation is hard on people with respiratory ailments
- In a nutshell:The seat of Isabella County
yooperprof's Related Pages
Mount Pleasant Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "MOUNT PLEASANT MICHIGAN"
- "Soaring Eagle Casino in Mt. Pleasant"
- "Soaring Eagle Casino/Resort"
- "The Rugged Alpine Region of Central Michigan"
- "Central Michigan Unversity"
- "Home Sweet Home"
- "Mount Pleasant"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mount Pleasant
- Hotels in Mount Pleasant
- Nightlife in Mount Pleasant
- Restaurants in Mount Pleasant
- Shopping in Mount Pleasant
- Warnings and Dangers in Mount Pleasant
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Mount Pleasant
- 1 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (58)
Have you been to Mount Pleasant?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mount Pleasant
- Posted in Travel Chicago Forum "Re: Museums and pizza on a..."
- Wrote a Review A good place to go after hitting the slopes in Mount Pleasant Restaurants
- Uploaded a Photo to "A good place to go after hitting the slopes"
- created a Mount Pleasant Travel Page "The Rugged Alpine Region of Central Michigan"
Photos in Mount PleasantSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 206 reviews, 394 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 82 reviews, 229 photos, 3 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 126 reviews, 161 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oslo Intro, 112 reviews, 173 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Milwaukee Intro, 102 reviews, 168 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 86 reviews, 176 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marquette Intro, 80 reviews, 151 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ottawa Intro, 67 reviews, 144 photos, 1 travelogue
- Montreal Intro, 70 reviews, 137 photos
- Kansas City Intro, 72 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (37)
Latest Mount Pleasant hotel reviews
- Green Suites
- 17 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 25, 2013