"A Small Town next to a Big Lake" Top 5 Page for this destination Marquette by yooperprof
Marquette Travel Guide: 158 reviews and 309 photos
Whoever came up with the idea of painting the Coast Guard lighthouse red should get a ribbon - preferably a red ribbon. This is probably the closest thing we have to an "official image" for Marquette.
This would probably be a good place to explain a few things. Marquette is the largest town in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. The Upper Peninsula (or U.P., to use its well-known initials) makes up about 20% of the land of Michigan, but only 3% of the population. People who are from here are known colloquially as U.P.-ers, or "Yoopers." Hence "Yooperprof." Strictly speaking, I am not a Yooper because I was not born here,, but. . .
Some of the most beautiful sunsets I've ever seen have been in Marquette. A favorite place to go is Presque Isle Park. "Inspiration Point" lives up to its name.
One of the most attractive buildings in Marquette is the century-old County Courthouse, which features this glorious Tiffany & Co. designed glass dome. It was the location for filming "Anatomy of a Murder," the 1959 Jimmy Stewart classic, which was directed by the great Otto Preminger.
(This classic court procedural film is much better than any number of the John Grisham wannabees, IMHO!)
- Pros:Beautiful (and cool) summers followed by spectacular fall colors
- Cons:A really long winter followed by a really miserable spring
- In a nutshell:The Entertainment Capital of the Central Upper Peninsula!
Great convenience and service at Johnson Sports Shop in the Village, close to the University, the Lake, and the great... more travel advice
One of my favorite beaches in all of Michigan is this rather secluded gem on the Big Bay Road (County Road 550) north of... more travel advice
- See All Greasy Spoon "Mom & Pop" place downtown
- See All Marq-Tran
- See All Chez Yooperprof
- See All Warehouse Conversions
yooperprof's Related Pages
Marquette Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Small Town next to a Big Lake"
- "Marquette, Michigan, One of My Favorite Towns"
- "Lake Superior Iron Ore Port Turned University Town"
- "Drew's new Marquette Page"
- "Living in Marquette"
- "Marquette, Michigan"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Marquette
- Hotels in Marquette
- Transportation in Marquette
- Nightlife in Marquette
- Restaurants in Marquette
- Shopping in Marquette
- Warnings and Dangers in Marquette
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Marquette
- 80 Reviews
- 151 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 46 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (58)
Have you been to Marquette?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Marquette
- Posted in Travel Chicago Forum "Re: Pilsen area Safe?"
- Wrote a Review For all your Hockey and Ski Equipment Needs in Marquette Shopping
- Uploaded a Photo to "For all your Hockey and Ski Equipment Needs"
- updated a Marquette Travel Page "A Small Town next to a Big Lake"
- Commented on one of mw_isis's Marquette travel pages
Photos in MarquetteSee All Photos (151)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 206 reviews, 394 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 82 reviews, 229 photos, 3 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 126 reviews, 161 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oslo Intro, 112 reviews, 173 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Milwaukee Intro, 102 reviews, 168 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 86 reviews, 176 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marquette Intro, 80 reviews, 151 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ottawa Intro, 67 reviews, 144 photos, 1 travelogue
- Montreal Intro, 70 reviews, 137 photos
- Kansas City Intro, 72 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues