"Under the Bridge - in March" Top 5 Page for this destination Mackinaw City by yooperprof
Mackinaw City Travel Guide: 65 reviews and 79 photos
Looking north toward yooperland - the upper peninsula of Michigan. The Straits of Mackinac Bridge was an engineering marvel when it opened in 1957. I find it interesting that the bridge fare for regular automobiles was $3.85 when it opened - a considerable sum of money when hamburgers were .20 cents and you could buy 5 gallons of gasoline for a buck. The toll was lowered to $1.50 in the late 1960s, when the basic bonds for the bridge were paid off. As of 2008, the fare is all the way up to $3.25 - still a relative bargain, all things considered!
Essentially the same view as above - but in June.
Here in the Upper Peninsula, we know it simply as "the Bridge." People ask, "How far do you live from the Bridge?" Or, "Life changed in the U.P. when the Bridge was built."
The Bridge was built between 1954 and 1957. It is a little over five miles long, and at the time of its construction, cost $100 million to built. In the center of the Strait, the Bridge rises 150 feet above the water. The central towers reach a height of 552 feet above the water. It still can be a little bit scary to drive across the Bridge, especially on a windy day. If you are feeling just too white-knuckled to drive safely across, ask one of the toll-clerks; they can provide a driver who will steer your vehicle across.
Well-preserved lighthouse, well-tended park which makes a good place for a picnic stop. I like to stop here if I'm... more travel advice
yooperprof's Related Pages
Mackinaw City Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "I finally made it to the Mackinac Bridge!"
- "Under the Bridge - in March"
- "Straits of Michelimackinac"
- "Port City to Mackinac Island"
- "Mackinaw City overnight stop"
- "Mackinaw City/Mackinac Island"
- "moneysavr's new Mackinaw Island"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mackinaw City
- Hotels in Mackinaw City
- Transportation in Mackinaw City
- Nightlife in Mackinaw City
- Restaurants in Mackinaw City
- Shopping in Mackinaw City
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Mackinaw City
- 2 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (58)
Have you been to Mackinaw City?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mackinaw City
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 206 reviews, 394 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 82 reviews, 229 photos, 3 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 126 reviews, 161 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oslo Intro, 112 reviews, 173 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Milwaukee Intro, 102 reviews, 168 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 86 reviews, 176 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marquette Intro, 80 reviews, 151 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ottawa Intro, 67 reviews, 144 photos, 1 travelogue
- Montreal Intro, 70 reviews, 137 photos
- Kansas City Intro, 72 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (37)
Latest Mackinaw City hotel reviews
- Northpointe Inn
- 130 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 20, 2013
- Mackinaw Beach-Bay (All Suites)
- 357 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 22, 2013
- Aqua Grand Inn & Waterpark
- 134 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 17, 2013
- Clarion Hotel Beachfront
- 338 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 26, 2013
- Clearwater Lakeshore Beachfront
- 68 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 19, 2013
- Hampton Inn Mackinaw City, MI
- 5 Reviews & Opinions
- Hamilton Inn Select Beachfront
- 399 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 26, 2013
- Grand View Resort
- 19 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 20, 2012
- Quality Inn Beachfront
- 147 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 11, 2013
- Econo Lodge Mackinaw City
- 104 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 21, 2013
- Best Western Dockside Waterfront Inn
- 271 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 3, 2013
- Comfort Inn Lakeside
- 81 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 15, 2013
- Ramada Limited Waterfront
- 90 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 24, 2013