"Gateway to the Keweenaw Peninsula" Houghton by yooperprof
Houghton Travel Guide: 92 reviews and 185 photos
First, some vocabulary for visitors to Houghton:
Techies: Students at Michigan Technological University
Yoopers: General term for residents of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan - though your family needs to have lived here for at least two generations before you are really accepted as such. (Yooperprof is only an honorary Yooper, having lived here only for 11 years.)
Swede-Finns: Ethnic group found in great abundance in and around Houghton - having emigrated from Swedish language regions of Finland, or Finnish language regions of Sweden. Here you'll find Swedish Keskimakis and Finnish Johnsons - and there IS a difference.
Houghton really has a nice town feeling. The main downtown street, Shelden Avenue, is lined with handsome red brick and red sandstone structures from the early 20th century. The backs of these buildings overlook the Portage Canal, and higher floors often overlook the steep bluffs (and ski-hill) beyond. There are a few small cafes, an excellent coffee shop, a great microbrewery, and interesting shops and boutiques. And the World Market grocery has a selection of food products that you'll find nowhere else in the entire Upper Peninsula. (It's because of the very cosmopolitan student and faculty of Michigan Tech.)
One of the annual highlights of Houghton is the Parade of Nations, an annual celebration involving flags, traditional clothing, and a wide variety of ethnic and regional foods. It's held in the middle of September.
- In a nutshell:Spiritual Center of the Yooper Universe
A recent addition to Houghton has greatly increased the availability of good fresh beer in this town. The Keewenaw... more travel advice
I find dining in Houghton to be a frustrating experience. In spite of the fact that it is a real college town, there is... more travel advice
yooperprof's Related Pages
Houghton Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Houghton, Michigan, Our Home Away From Home"
- ""My old [Michigan] home""
- "Copper and Turbo"
- "Basaic Isle Royale National Park/Houghton Page"
- "cynthi's Houghton Page"
- "Houghton, MI"
- "lintman1's Houghton Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Houghton
- Hotels in Houghton
- Transportation in Houghton
- Nightlife in Houghton
- Restaurants in Houghton
- Shopping in Houghton
- Warnings and Dangers in Houghton
- See All...
Explore the World
- Pembroke Pines Hotels
- Sok Kwu Wan Hotels
- Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur
- State of Tasmania
- York Harbor
- Ciudad del Este Hotels
- Kampong Sungai Baru Tengah Hotels
- Excelsior Springs
- La Boquilla
- Leona Valley Hotels
- Cuivre River State Park Hotels
Badges & Stats in Houghton
- 4 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (58)
Have you been to Houghton?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Houghton
Photos in HoughtonSee All Photos (16)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 206 reviews, 394 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 82 reviews, 229 photos, 3 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 126 reviews, 161 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oslo Intro, 112 reviews, 173 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Milwaukee Intro, 102 reviews, 168 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 86 reviews, 176 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marquette Intro, 80 reviews, 151 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ottawa Intro, 67 reviews, 144 photos, 1 travelogue
- Montreal Intro, 70 reviews, 137 photos
- Kansas City Intro, 72 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues