"Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore" Glen Arbor by yooperprof
Glen Arbor Travel Guide: 17 reviews and 30 photos
Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore is one of the splendid landscapes of the Great Lakes. The dunes of the upper Midwest are one of America's ecological treasures, and if they are not as much visited as some of the other national parks, that's not entirely a bad thing. Some people call this area Michigan's "Riviera". It's certainly a striking terrain of massive sand hills, steep cliffs, and interesting niches of varied flora and fauna. Perhaps one day National Lakeshores - not only Sleeping Bear, but also Pictured Rocks and Indiana Dunes - will be recognized as places just as significant as any other National Parkland.
Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore is on the Lake Michigan coastline, some 25 miles west of Traverse City. There are sand dunes and sand cliffs all along the western coastline of Michigan, but it is here in the National Lakeshore that the cliffs are steepest and most dramatic.
This has always been a spiritually charged area. It's not surprising that the "first peoples" regarded these dunes as the spiritual home of their most sacred ancestors. North and South Manitou Islands are also part of the management zone of the National Lakeshore. There is limited ferry service to the islands during the summer months, from Leland.
- In a nutshell:Michigan's steepest sand hills
Interlochen a nationally famous music and arts center not far from Sleeping Bar Dunes. In the summer, Interlochen thrums... more travel advice
yooperprof's Related Pages
Glen Arbor Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "G l e n A r b o r"
- "Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore"
- "A Great Destination..."
- "Basaic Glen Arbor Page"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Glen Arbor
- 7 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (57)
Have you been to Glen Arbor?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Glen Arbor
Photos in Glen ArborSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 206 reviews, 394 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 82 reviews, 229 photos, 3 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 126 reviews, 161 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oslo Intro, 112 reviews, 173 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Milwaukee Intro, 102 reviews, 168 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 86 reviews, 176 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marquette Intro, 80 reviews, 151 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ottawa Intro, 67 reviews, 144 photos, 1 travelogue
- Montreal Intro, 70 reviews, 137 photos
- Kansas City Intro, 72 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues