"A Mining Town After the Mines Are Shut Down" Calumet by yooperprof
Calumet Travel Guide: 42 reviews and 69 photos
I happened to find myself in Calumet last October on the evening of the annual Homecoming Parade. This quintessential small town ritual seemed inexpressably sad to me: some poignant contrast between the bright young faces and the irreversible decay of their community. Calumet - once proud capital of the copper mining industry in the Keewenaw Peninsula - was home to 25,000 hearty souls in the 1910s and 20s. Now its population is well under 1000, and the only thing mined in this region is its varied and rich ethnic heritage. But for most people who have roots in the copper country, there will be no homecoming.
Calumet was at the epicenter of the great Michigan, which lasted for about 70 years, from around 1860 to around 1930. Copper has left its indelible mark on this region, something which will become evident to even the most casual of visitors!
I have to admit I did not know that Calumet played such an important role in the development of the concrete paving industry in Michigan.
It says something about this community in its glory days - a century ago - that it was on the cutting edge of technological developments.
- Pros:A Historic Town that is become a cultural and historical center
- Cons:Winters - oh boy, you really wouldn't believe me if I told you
Cute little Tex/Mex and Southwestern Restaurant in Calumet, located in the burgeoning arts district downtown. Nice to... more travel advice
Okay, so you're probably wondering how in the world did the International Frisbee Hall of Fame and Museum end up in... more travel advice
yooperprof's Related Pages
Calumet Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Calumet, Michigan Near My Second Home"
- "The Great U.P. North"
- "A Mining Town After the Mines Are Shut Down"
- "Basaic Calumet Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Calumet
- Hotels in Calumet
- Transportation in Calumet
- Nightlife in Calumet
- Restaurants in Calumet
- Shopping in Calumet
- Warnings and Dangers in Calumet
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Calumet
- 7 Reviews
- 22 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (58)
Have you been to Calumet?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Calumet
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 206 reviews, 394 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 82 reviews, 229 photos, 3 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 126 reviews, 161 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oslo Intro, 112 reviews, 173 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Milwaukee Intro, 102 reviews, 168 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 86 reviews, 176 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marquette Intro, 80 reviews, 151 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ottawa Intro, 67 reviews, 144 photos, 1 travelogue
- Montreal Intro, 70 reviews, 137 photos
- Kansas City Intro, 72 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (37)
Latest Calumet hotel reviews
- Americinn Calumet (56925 S 6TH St.)
- 55 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 17, 2013