"Gateway to the Alleghenies" Cumberland by yooperprof
Cumberland Travel Guide: 22 reviews and 60 photos
If you're heading out of D.C. toward West Virginia, Cumberland is a good place to stop, take a rest, stretch your feet. It's the first substantial town heading westward on I-68 past Hagerstown. Yes, it has all the expected places right off the interstate, but it also has a fairly interesting and historic town center.
In the 1980s the solution for all small town woes was to construct "pedestrian malls" in downtown areas. Cumberland's is typical, and not really any more or less successful than most. Undoubtedly, they've done a good job with designing the streetlamps and the planted, but it's very difficult to work against the grain of an auto-obsessed culture.
- Pros:Nice Small Town Architecture, Typical Americana
Take a stroll through the comfortable and elegant residential neighborhoods close to the center of town. They reflect... more travel advice
yooperprof's Related Pages
Cumberland Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Cumberland Maryland"
- "Cumberland on the change"
- "Gateway to the Alleghenies"
- "Cumberland, Maryland"
- "Queen City"
- "Far West in Maryland"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cumberland
- 3 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (113)
Have you been to Cumberland?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cumberland
Photos in CumberlandSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 205 reviews, 391 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 82 reviews, 229 photos, 3 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 126 reviews, 161 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oslo Intro, 112 reviews, 173 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Milwaukee Intro, 102 reviews, 168 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 86 reviews, 176 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marquette Intro, 80 reviews, 151 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ottawa Intro, 67 reviews, 144 photos, 1 travelogue
- Montreal Intro, 70 reviews, 137 photos
- Kansas City Intro, 72 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues