"Proud Legacy of the Volga Germans" Victoria by yooperprof
Victoria Travel Guide: 15 reviews and 44 photos
Immigrants! It's the American Story.
In Kansas History we learned how the Volga Germans brought Hard Winter Wheat to central Kansas in the late 19th century, a crop that survived the severe prairie climate and which enabled the settled to make a new home for themselves here where the Great Plains begin. Volga Germans - descendents of colonists who had been attracted to settle in Ukraine by the powerful Russian Tsars Peter the Great and Catherine the Great. They must have been formidable people - and this sculptor has done a fine job of capturing their spirit and their willpower. Especially the mother!
"I feel like I'm always waiting at the corner of 10th and Dolorosa."
Sounds like a line from an obscure Tennessee Williams play! The twin towers of St. Fidelis Church are visable for miles in every direction.
"Nowhere in American were two colonies more unlike than those that came here. Scarlet-coated Britishers who chased antelope on bob-tailed ponies were joined by frugal and hard-working German-Russian immigrants. A Scotsman, George Grant, with 69,000 acres purchased from the railway, offered country estates to aristocrats. The immigrants came for religious freedom and to escape the czar's army. Cricket and Hays City dance halls delighted one colony, homestead rights and the streppe-like prairie the other. Victoria, established 1873, was named for a queen and laid out by a London architect. Herzog, just north, established 1876, was built of sod and named for a Volga village. By 1880, most of the aristocrats had moved on, and Herzog took over Victoria. Achievments here were: introduction of Aberdeen Angus cattle to the US by Grant; pioneer crops of hard winter wheat by the immigrants.
"Victoria now includes both towns. Its Catholic Church, St. Fidelis, is widely known as "the Cathedral of the Plains." In a cemetary one-fourth mile west are graves of track workers massacred by Cheyennes in 1867."
Stopping off in Victoria to see the Cathedral of the Plains? Nearby Walker also has a fine Victorian stone church. It's... more travel advice
yooperprof's Related Pages
Victoria Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Cathedral of the Plains..."
- "Its Elegance Has Earned a Listing on the Atlas"
- "Proud Legacy of the Volga Germans"
- "Victoria, Kansas and the Cathedral of the Plains"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Victoria
- 3 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (57)
Have you been to Victoria?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Victoria
Photos in VictoriaSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 206 reviews, 394 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 82 reviews, 229 photos, 3 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 126 reviews, 161 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oslo Intro, 112 reviews, 173 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Milwaukee Intro, 102 reviews, 168 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 86 reviews, 176 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marquette Intro, 80 reviews, 151 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ottawa Intro, 67 reviews, 144 photos, 1 travelogue
- Montreal Intro, 70 reviews, 137 photos
- Kansas City Intro, 72 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues