"S.A.S. (Sprawling Antiseptic Suburbia)" Top 5 Page for this destination Overland Park by yooperprof
Overland Park Travel Guide: 80 reviews and 160 photos
Office buildings, shopping centers, condo developments, tract housing estates: ah, American suburbia. It's all about consumerism. I grew up here - actually lived in "Prairie Village" one suburb over, but when to high school in O.P. (Shawnee Mission West) I escaped from S.A.S., but return regularly to visit relatives who are still living the suburban dream.
For many years now, Overland Park has been an engine of economic growth that is pulling much of the rest of the state of Kansas behind it. O.P. has become a business and retail hub for the entire region - symbolized by the new world headquarters of Sprint. (Okay, so Sprint's not doing too well these day - and the Sprint HQ is one of the ugliest office complexes in the world. Nonetheless. . . ) Overland Park now has a population of 160,000, making it the second largest city in Kansas, and the second largest city in the K.C. Metropolitan area.
There _is_ an older park of Overland Park - "Downtown O.P., along Santa Fe Drive between 79th and 82nd Streets, just to the west of Metcalf. This part of the city was developed in the early years of the 1900s, when Overland Park was one of the original "streetcar suburbs" in the area, and the "Strang Line" made frequent roundtrips between this "far-out" community and downtown Kansas City Mo. The streetcars are long since gone, but some of the original old buildings remain, and there is a sense of history in this section of Overland Park that you won't find anywhere else.
It's also where the city has established a number of successful traditions, such as a flourishing farmer's market and a number of summertime street festivals. There are a number of bars, restaurants, and interesting locally owned shops in the area. Occasionally, it even feels as if you might be in a _real_ city!
Garozzo's is a very popular Italian eatery with several locations through the Kansas City area. There's one in the busy... more travel advice
I came here with my siblings (two brothers, one sister, and spouses) on my last trip to Kansas over the holidays. It's a... more travel advice
yooperprof's Related Pages
Overland Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "It is the social climber suburb"
- "Overland Park, Kansas"
- "frankcanfly's Overland Park Page"
- "S.A.S. (Sprawling Antiseptic Suburbia)"
- "OVERLAND PARK"
- "ovreland park"
- "A wedding reception gathering"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Overland Park
- Hotels in Overland Park
- Transportation in Overland Park
- Nightlife in Overland Park
- Restaurants in Overland Park
- Shopping in Overland Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Overland Park
- 13 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (57)
Have you been to Overland Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Overland Park
- Posted in Travel Chicago Forum "Re: Pilsen area Safe?"
- Wrote a Review Little Italy comes to College Boulevard in Overland Park Restaurants
- Uploaded a Photo to "Little Italy comes to College Boulevard"
- updated a Overland Park Travelogue "Looking for Mr. GoodCoffee"
- Commented on one of basstbn's Overland Park travel pages
Photos in Overland ParkSee All Photos (23)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 206 reviews, 394 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 82 reviews, 229 photos, 3 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 126 reviews, 161 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oslo Intro, 112 reviews, 173 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Milwaukee Intro, 102 reviews, 168 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 86 reviews, 176 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marquette Intro, 80 reviews, 151 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ottawa Intro, 67 reviews, 144 photos, 1 travelogue
- Montreal Intro, 70 reviews, 137 photos
- Kansas City Intro, 72 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues