"Purple Pride - Aggies on the Loose!" Top 5 Page for this destination Manhattan by yooperprof
Manhattan Travel Guide: 105 reviews and 214 photos
Wearing purple is never out of fashion in Manhattan Kansas, especially in the collegetown area of Aggieville.
I grew up in Kansas, but in the far east part, the sylvan suburbs of Shawnee Mission. Manhattan always seemed impossibly "western" - though really, it's only about 140 miles from Johnson County.
I was always told that "Aggie" is a reference to "Agriculture". Kansas State University was often referred to as "Silo Tech" by the urbane sophisticates of Lawrence, where my older brother and sister matriculated. There's more than a mild rivalry between KU and KSU. It wouldn't be a good idea to shout "Rock Chalk Jayhawk" in a crowded bar here.
I stopped by Manhattan while on my summer drive in 2006. I had lunch with Natasha S., a friend of mine who is a former Yooper. She's having a great time working on her masters in Cultural Studies here. They have quite a good program.
Manhattan is close to the wide-open spaces of the Flint Hills, one of the last remaining undisturbed Prairies in North America.
I met my friend Natasha for lunch at the So Long Saloon, which has the reputation of having the best burgers and fries... more travel advice
yooperprof's Related Pages
Manhattan Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Flint Hills...can light my FIRE!"
- "Town in the middle of the US"
- "Manhattan, Kansas - The Little Apple"
- "Purple Pride - Aggies on the Loose!"
- "brdwtchr's new Manhattan Page"
- "NEVER THOUGHT I'D GET HERE"
- "Manhattan- The Little Apple"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Manhattan
- Hotels in Manhattan
- Transportation in Manhattan
- Nightlife in Manhattan
- Restaurants in Manhattan
- Shopping in Manhattan
- Warnings and Dangers in Manhattan
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Manhattan
- 3 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (58)
Have you been to Manhattan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Manhattan
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 206 reviews, 394 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 82 reviews, 229 photos, 3 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 126 reviews, 161 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oslo Intro, 112 reviews, 173 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Milwaukee Intro, 102 reviews, 168 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 86 reviews, 176 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marquette Intro, 80 reviews, 151 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ottawa Intro, 67 reviews, 144 photos, 1 travelogue
- Montreal Intro, 70 reviews, 137 photos
- Kansas City Intro, 72 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues