"Purple Pride - Aggies on the Loose!" Top 5 Page for this destination Manhattan by yooperprof

Manhattan Travel Guide: 105 reviews and 214 photos

Wearing purple is never out of fashion in Manhattan Kansas, especially in the collegetown area of Aggieville.

I grew up in Kansas, but in the far east part, the sylvan suburbs of Shawnee Mission. Manhattan always seemed impossibly "western" - though really, it's only about 140 miles from Johnson County.

I was always told that "Aggie" is a reference to "Agriculture". Kansas State University was often referred to as "Silo Tech" by the urbane sophisticates of Lawrence, where my older brother and sister matriculated. There's more than a mild rivalry between KU and KSU. It wouldn't be a good idea to shout "Rock Chalk Jayhawk" in a crowded bar here.

I stopped by Manhattan while on my summer drive in 2006. I had lunch with Natasha S., a friend of mine who is a former Yooper. She's having a great time working on her masters in Cultural Studies here. They have quite a good program.

Manhattan is close to the wide-open spaces of the Flint Hills, one of the last remaining undisturbed Prairies in North America.

• Last visit to Manhattan: Jun 2006
  • Intro Written Sep 8, 2006

• Apr 9, 2008 at 5:26 PM

Very good food and is very popular, can be hard to find a table.

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo
    Sep 26, 2006 at 3:01 PM

I've made a pit stop in Manhattan a time or two while driving through Kansas. Next time I'll have to take a few pictures.

yooperprof

“from da u.p. to da world”

Badges & Stats in Manhattan

Have you been to Manhattan?