"A bit of Eden in Central Kansas" Lucas by yooperprof
Lucas Travel Guide: 14 reviews and 83 photos
The one and only Concrete Biblical Garden in Central Kansas! S.P. Dinsmoor's Garden of Eden! It's Educational! It's Historic! It's Aesthetic! 100% American!
Another attraction in Lucas is the Grassroots Art Center, which features the work of a number of Kansas artists who have worked outside the mainstream. "Outsider Art" is another term that is sometimes used to describe this genre.
One of my favorite artists featured at the Art Center did monumental work in carved and painted wood, including this impressive piece depicting a well-known Kansan of the early 20th century, Carrie Nation. Growing up in the eastern part of the state, I learned about Nation in "Kansas History." I don't know how well-known she is to non-Kansans. But to those of us from here, she has iconic status as the home-spun teetotaller who took her prohibitionist beliefs very seriously. So much so that her campaign against the iniquities of "demon rum," "bawdy beer" and "satanic spirits" inspired her to wave an axe while she spoke at church meetings and town picnics across Kansas.
Kansas has a long tradition of viewing alcohol as a social evil. When I was growing up, it was impossible to buy a glass of wine at a restaurant - and some Kansas counties are still completely "dry."
I can't remember who said it: "Kansans will continue to support Prohibition as long as they can stagger to the polls."
In summer 2006, I started a photography project of taking pictures of Midwestern grain elevators. Bernd and Hilda... more travel advice
I think it's interesting that Lucas - population 422 - has supported a family-owned meat market for 84 years! I like... more travel advice
yooperprof's Related Pages
Lucas Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A bit of Eden in Central Kansas"
- "Grassroots Art Capital of Kansas"
- "The Road Trip Must See"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lucas
- 7 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (60)
Have you been to Lucas?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lucas
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 205 reviews, 391 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 82 reviews, 229 photos, 3 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 126 reviews, 161 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oslo Intro, 112 reviews, 173 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Milwaukee Intro, 102 reviews, 168 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 86 reviews, 176 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marquette Intro, 80 reviews, 151 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ottawa Intro, 67 reviews, 144 photos, 1 travelogue
- Montreal Intro, 70 reviews, 137 photos
- Kansas City Intro, 72 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues