"Elkhart County Seat" Goshen by yooperprof
Goshen Travel Guide: 14 reviews and 18 photos
Here, as elsewhere in so much of America, the most notable and proportioned building in a town is the county courthouse. The Elkhart County Courthouse is like many others in that it occupies a prominent square block in the center of the urbanized core.
It does seem a little odd that there should be this elegant statue of Neptune in land-locked Elkhart County. An immigrant candy-seller from Greece named James Palezoes donated this pagan god to the the County Courthouse in 1912, as a symbol of his appreciation for his new country. (Thanks Sam Barnett for the info.)
Across America, Greek Revival Architecture from the 1830s to the 1850s expressed early America's desire to model itself... more travel advice
"Erected 1939, To protect the Maple City from gangsters who might travel along this, the old transcontinental Lincoln... more travel advice
yooperprof's Related Pages
Goshen Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Elkhart County Seat"
- "Goshen - The Center of It All"
- "Goshen, Indiana"
- "Air Show"
- "What is there to do in Goshen?"
- "Center of Amish Country"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Goshen
- Transportation in Goshen
- Nightlife in Goshen
- Restaurants in Goshen
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Goshen
- 4 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (115)
Have you been to Goshen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Goshen
Photos in GoshenSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 205 reviews, 391 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 82 reviews, 229 photos, 3 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 126 reviews, 161 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oslo Intro, 112 reviews, 173 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Milwaukee Intro, 102 reviews, 168 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 86 reviews, 176 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marquette Intro, 80 reviews, 151 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ottawa Intro, 67 reviews, 144 photos, 1 travelogue
- Montreal Intro, 70 reviews, 137 photos
- Kansas City Intro, 72 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues