"Y B Norm L?" Normal by yooperprof
Normal Travel Guide: 21 reviews and 13 photos
This is one of the famed skyscraper dorms at Illinois State University. I'm sure that in its own way, this building is as notable as any ivy-covered hall at Oxford or Yale. Sometimes it seems that American state universities apply "mass production" principles to higher education - and Illinois State is no better and no worse than dozens of similar insitutions from Maine to California.
An austere functionalism rules here - and why not? The only rational purpose of a state university is to produce material benefits - preferably in monetary units - for the rest of society. One certainly would not want to engage in such arcane and elitist ideas as "beauty for beauty's sake." Thus, it is entirely appropriate that a university library should resemble the headquarters of an insurance company - or an obscure government bureaucracy.
- Pros:A "Normal School" -- education for the good of the people
- Cons:Is this as good as it gets?
- In a nutshell:If you don't like my Normal page, try out my Gay (MI) page!
The first American "Quad" was at Thomas Jefferson's University of Virginia, and ever since then it has been traditional... more travel advice
yooperprof's Related Pages
Normal Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Normal
- Hotels in Normal
- Nightlife in Normal
- Restaurants in Normal
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Normal
- 3 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (60)
Have you been to Normal?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Normal
Photos in NormalSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 206 reviews, 394 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 82 reviews, 229 photos, 3 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 126 reviews, 161 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oslo Intro, 112 reviews, 173 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Milwaukee Intro, 102 reviews, 168 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 86 reviews, 176 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marquette Intro, 80 reviews, 151 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ottawa Intro, 67 reviews, 144 photos, 1 travelogue
- Montreal Intro, 70 reviews, 137 photos
- Kansas City Intro, 72 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues