Chicago Sports & Outdoors Tips by yooperprof Top 5 Page for this destination
Chicago Sports & Outdoors: 116 reviews and 196 photos
Runners Cross the River
Early October is the time for the Chicago Marathon - the first or second weekend of the month. Even if you're not a runner (I'm not) it's fun to be in the city with so many dedicated athletes all so intent on doing their best. I'm told that it's a good marathon - Chicago's not exactly a hilly city, and it's possible to make excellent time there, as long as the wind isn't too fierce.
stay out of the gutters
Let's go bowling! And a place you'll always remember is Southport Lanes and Billiards. It's got to be one of the very few remaining genuine bowling bars anywhere in the US - and it is certainly the last such in Chicago. It's tiny - just four lanes - and you get to set your own pins. Buy a pitcher of Goose Island brew and have an old fashioned afternoon here.
Equipment: They do rent shoes here, and they have their own bowling balls, but of course you can bring your own.
Address: 3325 N. Southport
early on a cold morning, not many people are out
Walk, run, jog, bike, hop, or crawl along Lake Shore Drive. You'll need to get some exercise after stuffing yourself with pierogis and deep dish pizza.
More Reviews (202)
- See All Nice Ice on the Northside
- See All Cocktails without tears
- See All Best Restaurant named after a Grimm...
- See All Metra Trains to/from the burbs
- See All Art Galleries in the River North
yooperprof's Related Pages
Chicago Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The place I call home"
- "Captivating City of "The Big Shoulders": Chicago"
- "Never A Lovely So Real"
- "Chicago - My Favorite City in the United States!"
- "Sweet Home Chicago!"
- "Chicago - I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Chicago
- Hotels in Chicago
- Transportation in Chicago
- Nightlife in Chicago
- Restaurants in Chicago
- Shopping in Chicago
- Warnings and Dangers in Chicago
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Chicago
- 205 Reviews
- 392 Photos
- 209 Forum posts
- 29 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (114)
Have you been to Chicago?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Chicago
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 205 reviews, 391 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 82 reviews, 229 photos, 3 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 126 reviews, 161 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oslo Intro, 112 reviews, 173 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Milwaukee Intro, 102 reviews, 168 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 86 reviews, 176 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marquette Intro, 80 reviews, 151 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ottawa Intro, 67 reviews, 144 photos, 1 travelogue
- Montreal Intro, 70 reviews, 137 photos
- Kansas City Intro, 72 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (37)
- Navy Pier- 112 Reviews, 240 Photos
- Millennium Park- 91 Reviews, 256 Photos
- Michigan Avenue- 81 Reviews, 128 Photos
- Willis Tower (Formerly Sears Tower)- 110 Reviews, 204 Photos
- Field Museum of Natural History- 68 Reviews, 128 Photos
- Art Institute- 93 Reviews, 155 Photos
- Shedd Aquarium- 56 Reviews, 107 Photos
- John Hancock Center- 102 Reviews, 184 Photos
- Wrigley Field - Chicago Cubs- 36 Reviews, 91 Photos
- Chinatown- 15 Reviews, 27 Photos
See All Chicago Things to Do