Chicago Shopping Tips by yooperprof Top 5 Page for this destination
Chicago Shopping: 210 reviews and 263 photos
on the boulevard
You want it? It's probably somewhere on Michigan Avenue. But don't forget to enjoy the view. This has become one of America's great shopping streets - and there's something here for everyone. And the best thing is that, although there are malls aplenty here, the street is still public space.
IKEA isn't so much a store as it is a way of life. Inexpensive home furnishings for the masses, displayed in clean, well-lit and spartan surroundings - a formula that has worked around the world. The Chicago-area IKEA, in suburban Schaumburg, is the company's busiest outlet in North America, with reported sales last year of $160 million.
By some accounts, IKEA founder Ingvar Kamprad is among the world's wealthiest individual. (Forbes ranks him as #13, with a personal fortune estimated in the vicinity of $18 billion.) The company derives its name from the initials of his name, I & K, along with E for Elmtaryd (the farm he was born on) and A for Agunnaryd (the village he grew up in).
Chicago's IKEA features three massive floors of well-designed products, everything from "Ektorp" Sofas to "Grunka" Kitchenware. (Sometimes I just like to read the labels to see the names of the product lines.)
There's some interesting sociology behind IKEA's success in the USA. In some ways it's a Wal-mart for the aspirational classes.
TIP: Every IKEA has an in-store cafeteria - a good place to nosh while shopping. Swedish meatballs are always on the menu, along with other freshly prepared entrees, salads and desserts. The food is both surprisingly tasty and excellent value - and (as you might expect) the coffee that they serve is strong enough to give you a buzz that will last for hours.
Address: Off Golf Rd. in Schaumburg
Directions: Next to the Woodfield Mall
Theme: Home Furnishing
entrance to the furniture department, off Madison
If you are coming to Chicago to look for things to decorate your home or apartment, or to investigate furniture options, don't figure the classic old department stores on State Street. They really do have excellent "departments" for interior design - and their prices are quite reasonable. (If only shipping weren't so expensive!)
Carson Pirie & Scott has some very nice coffee tables - maybe on my next trip to Chicago. . .
Address: State Street at Madison, in the Loop
Theme: Department Store
More Reviews (202)
- See All Nice Ice on the Northside
- See All Cocktails without tears
- See All Best Restaurant named after a Grimm...
- See All Metra Trains to/from the burbs
- See All Art Galleries in the River North
yooperprof's Related Pages
Chicago Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The place I call home"
- "Captivating City of "The Big Shoulders": Chicago"
- "Never A Lovely So Real"
- "Chicago - My Favorite City in the United States!"
- "Sweet Home Chicago!"
- "Chicago - I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Chicago
- Hotels in Chicago
- Transportation in Chicago
- Nightlife in Chicago
- Restaurants in Chicago
- Shopping in Chicago
- Warnings and Dangers in Chicago
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Chicago
- 205 Reviews
- 392 Photos
- 209 Forum posts
- 29 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (115)
Have you been to Chicago?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Chicago
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 205 reviews, 391 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 82 reviews, 229 photos, 3 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 126 reviews, 161 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oslo Intro, 112 reviews, 173 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Milwaukee Intro, 102 reviews, 168 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 86 reviews, 176 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marquette Intro, 80 reviews, 151 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ottawa Intro, 67 reviews, 144 photos, 1 travelogue
- Montreal Intro, 70 reviews, 137 photos
- Kansas City Intro, 72 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (37)
- Navy Pier- 113 Reviews, 242 Photos
- Millennium Park- 91 Reviews, 251 Photos
- Michigan Avenue- 81 Reviews, 128 Photos
- Willis Tower (Formerly Sears Tower)- 110 Reviews, 204 Photos
- John Hancock Center- 103 Reviews, 186 Photos
- Shedd Aquarium- 56 Reviews, 107 Photos
- Field Museum of Natural History- 68 Reviews, 128 Photos
- The Chicago River- 59 Reviews, 99 Photos
- Art Institute- 94 Reviews, 157 Photos
- Grant Park - Buckingham Fountain- 61 Reviews, 98 Photos
See All Chicago Things to Do