"Never A Lovely So Real" Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago by yooperprof
Chicago Travel Guide: 5,957 reviews and 12,274 photos
Chicago is a great city in so many ways - and the locals will be glad to share with you many ways to make your stay in their metropolis memorable! Why else do you suppose that it's called "The Windy City"!
Chicago excels in theatre and restaurants - that is, in endeavors that require a flair for performance, but also a keen sense of understanding the needs of audiences and patrons. I've recently expanded my restaurant reviews here, increasing to 52 the number of establishments I have commented upon. 52 - one for each week of the year!
Reviews 1-13 are generally the most recent, and they include my observations about such well-known and loved gastropubs as the Publican, the Gage, and the Girl and the Goat. Here you will also find reviews of "classics" like Naha and Le Colonial.
Reviews 14-26 cover various places where we have had VT meetings and dinners over the years. We've made an effort to sample some of the many diverse cuisines which add flavor and diversity to Chicago. Among our choices, we've tried Filipino, Uzbeki, Russian, Swedish, Polish, Turkish, Indian - and a couple of the well known pizza places as well!
Reviews 27-42 are a mixed assortment of miscellany.
Reviews 43-48 cover breakfast and brunch options, most of them in the popular hotel areas of the Loop or River North.
Reviews 49-52 are of coffeeshops.
And if that's not enough, you would also find a few reviews of food places in the Noghtlife Section. "Hopleaf" and "Revolution Brewing Company" are both in "Nightlife." They have legions of fans who like to eat as much as they enjoy drinking.
". . . that astonishing Chicago - a city where they are always rubbing the lamp, and fetching up the genii, and contriving and achieving new impossibilities. It is hopeless for the occasional visitor to try to keep up with Chicago - she outgrows his prophecies faster than he can make them. She is always a novelty; for she is never the Chicago you saw when you passed through the last time."
"Life on the Mississippi," Mark Twain -- 1883
"Once you've come to be a part of this particular patch, you'll never love another. Like loving a woman with a broken nose, you may well find lovelier lovelies. But never a lovely so real."
Nelson Algren, "City on the Make"
[thanks to Alex Kotlowitz for his new 2004 book about Chicago, "Never a City So Real," which is inspired by Algren's earlier work.)
"Here, of all her cities, throbbed the true life -- the true power and spirit of America; gigantic, crude with the crudity of youth, disdaining rivalry; sane and healthy and vigorous; brutal in its ambition, arrogant in the new-found knowledge of its giant strength, prodigal of its wealth, infinite of its desires."
"The Pit," Frank Norris -- 1904
- Pros:Diversity and Unity
- Cons:Parking downtown? That's a good one!
- In a nutshell:Cosmopolitan Culture on the Plains
Summer in the city! Miko's Italian Ice has two walk-up locations in northside neighborhoods: Bucktown, and this one in... more travel advice
Excellent Logan Square restaurant, a neighborhood place with a German theme. Meat-friendly with some vegetarian options,... more travel advice
- See All Metra Trains to/from the burbs
- See All Art Galleries in the River North
- See All Old Town - St. Michael's Church (R.C.)
- See All "Happy" Boutique Hotel
yooperprof's Related Pages
Chicago Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The place I call home"
- "Captivating City of "The Big Shoulders": Chicago"
- "Never A Lovely So Real"
- "Chicago - My Favorite City in the United States!"
- "Sweet Home Chicago!"
- "Chicago - I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Chicago
- Hotels in Chicago
- Transportation in Chicago
- Nightlife in Chicago
- Restaurants in Chicago
- Shopping in Chicago
- Warnings and Dangers in Chicago
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Chicago
- 205 Reviews
- 392 Photos
- 209 Forum posts
- 29 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (114)
Have you been to Chicago?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Chicago
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 205 reviews, 391 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 82 reviews, 229 photos, 3 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 126 reviews, 161 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oslo Intro, 112 reviews, 173 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Milwaukee Intro, 102 reviews, 168 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 86 reviews, 176 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marquette Intro, 80 reviews, 151 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ottawa Intro, 67 reviews, 144 photos, 1 travelogue
- Montreal Intro, 70 reviews, 137 photos
- Kansas City Intro, 72 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues