"Never A Lovely So Real" Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago by yooperprof

Chicago Travel Guide: 5,911 reviews and 12,105 photos

Chicago is a great city in so many ways - and the locals will be glad to share with you many ways to make your stay in their metropolis memorable! Why else do you suppose that it's called "The Windy City"!

Chicago excels in theatre and restaurants - that is, in endeavors that require a flair for performance, but also a keen sense of understanding the needs of audiences and patrons. I've recently expanded my restaurant reviews here, increasing to 52 the number of establishments I have commented upon. 52 - one for each week of the year!

Reviews 1-13 are generally the most recent, and they include my observations about such well-known and loved gastropubs as the Publican, the Gage, and the Girl and the Goat. Here you will also find reviews of "classics" like Naha and Le Colonial.

Reviews 14-26 cover various places where we have had VT meetings and dinners over the years. We've made an effort to sample some of the many diverse cuisines which add flavor and diversity to Chicago. Among our choices, we've tried Filipino, Uzbeki, Russian, Swedish, Polish, Turkish, Indian - and a couple of the well known pizza places as well!

Reviews 27-42 are a mixed assortment of miscellany.

Reviews 43-48 cover breakfast and brunch options, most of them in the popular hotel areas of the Loop or River North.

Reviews 49-52 are of coffeeshops.

And if that's not enough, you would also find a few reviews of food places in the Noghtlife Section. "Hopleaf" and "Revolution Brewing Company" are both in "Nightlife." They have legions of fans who like to eat as much as they enjoy drinking.

". . . that astonishing Chicago - a city where they are always rubbing the lamp, and fetching up the genii, and contriving and achieving new impossibilities. It is hopeless for the occasional visitor to try to keep up with Chicago - she outgrows his prophecies faster than he can make them. She is always a novelty; for she is never the Chicago you saw when you passed through the last time."

"Life on the Mississippi," Mark Twain -- 1883

"Never a Lovely So Real"

"Once you've come to be a part of this particular patch, you'll never love another. Like loving a woman with a broken nose, you may well find lovelier lovelies. But never a lovely so real."

Nelson Algren, "City on the Make"

[thanks to Alex Kotlowitz for his new 2004 book about Chicago, "Never a City So Real," which is inspired by Algren's earlier work.)

"Here, of all her cities, throbbed the true life -- the true power and spirit of America; gigantic, crude with the crudity of youth, disdaining rivalry; sane and healthy and vigorous; brutal in its ambition, arrogant in the new-found knowledge of its giant strength, prodigal of its wealth, infinite of its desires."

"The Pit," Frank Norris -- 1904

• Pros:Diversity and Unity
  • Cons:Parking downtown? That's a good one!
  • In a nutshell:Cosmopolitan Culture on the Plains
  • Last visit to Chicago: Jun 2013
  • Intro Updated Aug 26, 2013

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Aug 21, 2013 at 7:51 AM

I have the impression that there is no need to go hungry in Chicago. Fine new restaurant tips!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Dec 1, 2009 at 5:23 AM

Me again, checking back to read your new tips since September 11, 2008. Great that you keep returning to Chicago for operas and VT meetings. Have you made any further plans for European travel?

• marielexoteria's Profile Photo
    Oct 18, 2009 at 6:34 AM

Saw your Swedish meatballs meet, have fun :) if you ever come over, I might make them for you.

• jo104's Profile Photo
    Sep 1, 2009 at 8:43 AM

thank you for dropping by my chicago page & thanks for your tips which I reviewed before going I do my homework thats for sure & I love to eat out - Dabs was my fabulous guide more to come on chicago drips & drabs.

• Dabs's Profile Photo
    Aug 23, 2009 at 9:38 AM

Perennial, Publican (brunch) and Smoque (go early and be prepared to wait) seems to come up a lot as places to try, I'm too busy eating soul food and ribs *burp* And the Trib just had a special on Peking duck, if you are interested I'll send you the link

• BeatChick's Profile Photo
    Jul 12, 2009 at 9:22 AM

Read your Lou Malnati's tip! I, too, run the risk of having my Cincinnati ratings relinquished because I don't "do" Cincinnati chili and don't care for LaRosa's Pizza! So I can relate to your (former) dilemma. ;)

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Mar 25, 2009 at 9:10 AM

LOL about deep dish pizza tip!Reviewed all your grand tips on the Chicago food scene. Like the variety, details, humor, and sense of culinary excellence. Always a pleasure to read your well-crafted work, Chet.

• Arkeolog's Profile Photo
    Feb 27, 2009 at 10:15 AM

great pahe here with nice photos and useful tips.. all the best. Bora

• Callavetta's Profile Photo
    May 25, 2008 at 9:36 AM

I wish I could get up my nerve to try Priceline. You paid less to sleep than I paid to park! Well, almost anyway. I just can't make the leap to not know exactly what hotel they will give me.

• Mar 28, 2008 at 12:42 PM

Excellent Chicago picture. I love to visit this city one day!

yooperprof Visits Here Frequently!

yooperprof

“from da u.p. to da world”

Badges & Stats in Chicago

Have you been to Chicago?

Latest Activity in Chicago