"Mound Builders of the Plains" Cahokia Mounds State Park by yooperprof
Cahokia Mounds State Park Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 12 photos
The largest building project in North America prior to the Erie Canal, the Mounds of Cahokia are a great "unsolved mystery" of America's native peoples. For what purposes were the mounds constructed? What construction methods were employed? And what happened to the culture and civilization that created them?
Don't look to me for any answers. I got to the park slightly after five p.m. and just missed the opening hours of the interpretative center. I'm sure that they have some ideas there.
Cahokia Mounds State Park is right outside Collinsville IL in the St. Louis MO metropolitan area. It's two minutes off I-70/55 - take exit 6 and follow the signs to the State Park.
I should clairfy that the Cahokia people did not themselves put a staircase up to the tops of the largest mound. That is a modern addition. But I put the "steps" picture in the most prominent position here to give a good idea of the scale of this man-made hill.
The mounds have a spiritual significance and were built for sacred purposes. But saying that doesn't explain a lot, because everything that the native peoples did had a spiritual significance, and their entire lives were ordered according to sacred purposes. I really do wish I could have found out more on this trip. If you are wise, you'll arrange to get to the interpretitve center before it closes.
The grounds at Cahokia Mounds are well-maintained, and there are several picnic areas. The mounds themselves are good... more travel advice
yooperprof's Related Pages
Cahokia Mounds State Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Mound Builders of the Plains"
- "UNESCO World Heritage Site"
- "Ancient Mounds in...Illinois? Yep."
- "the cahokia mounds"
- "Cahokia Mounds State Park"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cahokia Mounds State Park
- 3 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (114)
Have you been to Cahokia Mounds State Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cahokia Mounds State Park
Photos in Cahokia Mounds State ParkSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 205 reviews, 391 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 82 reviews, 229 photos, 3 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 126 reviews, 161 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oslo Intro, 112 reviews, 173 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Milwaukee Intro, 102 reviews, 168 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 86 reviews, 176 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marquette Intro, 80 reviews, 151 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ottawa Intro, 67 reviews, 144 photos, 1 travelogue
- Montreal Intro, 70 reviews, 137 photos
- Kansas City Intro, 72 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues