"Mound Builders of the Plains" Cahokia Mounds State Park by yooperprof

Cahokia Mounds State Park Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 12 photos

The largest building project in North America prior to the Erie Canal, the Mounds of Cahokia are a great "unsolved mystery" of America's native peoples. For what purposes were the mounds constructed? What construction methods were employed? And what happened to the culture and civilization that created them?

Don't look to me for any answers. I got to the park slightly after five p.m. and just missed the opening hours of the interpretative center. I'm sure that they have some ideas there.

Cahokia Mounds State Park is right outside Collinsville IL in the St. Louis MO metropolitan area. It's two minutes off I-70/55 - take exit 6 and follow the signs to the State Park.

I should clairfy that the Cahokia people did not themselves put a staircase up to the tops of the largest mound. That is a modern addition. But I put the "steps" picture in the most prominent position here to give a good idea of the scale of this man-made hill.

The mounds have a spiritual significance and were built for sacred purposes. But saying that doesn't explain a lot, because everything that the native peoples did had a spiritual significance, and their entire lives were ordered according to sacred purposes. I really do wish I could have found out more on this trip. If you are wise, you'll arrange to get to the interpretitve center before it closes.

• Last visit to Cahokia Mounds State Park: Jun 2004
  • Intro Updated Jun 24, 2004

• Aug 5, 2006 at 6:33 PM

I WAS RAISED ABOUT 1 MILE FROM THE MOUNDS. AS A YOUNG CHILD THERE WERE TREES ON THE "BIG" MOUND AND A PATH TO THE TOP. IN THE WINTER THE SMALLER MOUNDS WERE COVERED WITH SNOW AND KIDS. DOES BRING BACK GOOD MEMORIES. THANK YOU

• MJB123's Profile Photo
    May 26, 2006 at 3:17 PM

Thanks for posting info/pics on Cahokia. It is my dream to go there someday.

• mikelisaanna's Profile Photo
    Dec 11, 2005 at 2:16 PM

Thanks for the good intro on Cahokia. We need to visit it next time we are in St. Louis.

• zrim's Profile Photo
    Jul 26, 2004 at 3:11 PM

I kick myself because for tow years I lived only a stone's throw from the mounds and never once did I stop to explore.

• sambarnett's Profile Photo
    Jul 25, 2004 at 2:19 PM

easily one of the most amazing places to visit in the country! Until Philly reached the 30,000 ppl. mark in 1800, Cahokia was the largest "city" in what became the USA.

yooperprof

“from da u.p. to da world”

Badges & Stats in Cahokia Mounds State Park

Have you been to Cahokia Mounds State Park?