Bloomington Favorite Tips by yooperprof
Bloomington Favorites: 6 reviews and 8 photos
On the corner of McLean and Walnut
Favorite thing: "Stick style" - and with a big front porch. Ideal for porch sitting.
In the shade of the old elm tree
Favorite thing: That's an exceptionally large tree! And it's an elm, too. Most of the elms in the midwest were lost long ago. I wonder how this giant managed to survive.
A man's home is his castle
Favorite thing: Bloomington has an abundance of well-preserved leafy residential neighborhoods. I took a stroll around the neighborhood where the Stevenson house sits. There's a beautiful square surrounded by interesting homes of a variety of styles and sizes. For example, this is an outstanding example of Richardsonian Romanesque design.
Seven Story Glory
Favorite thing: Wow, this looks like this one of those great old department stores which used to sell everything from chewing gum to washing machines. It has seen better days, but seems to be ready for a re-incarnation as something stately and grand for the 21st century.
Favorite thing: You can't match the historic spaces of an older downtown for charm and interest. Someone has made this 1920s garage into an appealing residential space. I'd love to take a home's tour here!
Restore the Core
Favorite thing: This handsome office block on the courthouse square is currently being renovated as condos. Lovely baby windows - if I lived here, I would definitely consider living downtown. It's heartening to see that the good people of this midwestern town (and others like it) are beginning to value once again the neighborliness of urban life.
More Reviews (6)
yooperprof's Related Pages
Bloomington Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Focus on Education"
- "One of the very first Bloomington IL Pages"
- "Bloomington - in the heart of Illinois"
- "I've left the building--check the Kansas City Page"
- "n8hoffman's new Bloomington Page"
- "New Year's Eve 2003"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bloomington
- Hotels in Bloomington
- Transportation in Bloomington
- Nightlife in Bloomington
- Restaurants in Bloomington
- Warnings and Dangers in Bloomington
- See All...
Explore the World
- Republic of Montenegro Hotels
- Feltham Hotels
- Bettws-y-coed Hotels
- West End Hotels
- Willow Grove
Badges & Stats in Bloomington
- 12 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (58)
Have you been to Bloomington?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bloomington
Photos in BloomingtonSee All Photos (14)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 206 reviews, 394 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 82 reviews, 229 photos, 3 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 126 reviews, 161 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oslo Intro, 112 reviews, 173 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Milwaukee Intro, 102 reviews, 168 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 86 reviews, 176 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marquette Intro, 80 reviews, 151 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ottawa Intro, 67 reviews, 144 photos, 1 travelogue
- Montreal Intro, 70 reviews, 137 photos
- Kansas City Intro, 72 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (37)
Latest Bloomington hotel reviews
- Jumer's Chateau
- 95 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 17, 2013
- Fairfield Inn & Suites Bloomington
- 59 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013
- Econo Lodge
- 14 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 3, 2013
- Extended StayAmerica Bloomington-Normal
- 58 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 19, 2013
- Quality Inn & Suites Bloomington
- 62 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013