"One of the very first Bloomington IL Pages" Bloomington by yooperprof

Bloomington Travel Guide: 29 reviews and 54 photos

Virgin territory for VT?

It looks like this is going to be one of the very first attempts to build a page for Bloomington Illinois. How exciting is that! And what a lot of responsibility for me as well. Bloomington is the headquarters of State Farm Insurance, and I was told that many historic advances in the philosophy and practice of actuarial science were made here. It's also part of a bi-urban area which includes Normal, the home of Illinois State University. Somewhere in the area there is also an enormous Japanese owned auto manufacturing plant. When I was a gradual student at the University of Illinois in the mid 1980s, my friends and I looked down our noses at Bloomington-Normal, because in our minds it lacked the urbane champagne-like sophistication of our university community. But visiting the area in the fall of 2003 for a professional conference, I was pleasantly surprised at how comfortable a place this seems to be.

Madly about Adlai (the first one)

"This was the home of Adlai E. Stevenson I, Vice-President of the United States 1893-1897. Stevenson was born in Kentucky in 1835 and came to Bloomington in 1852. He attended Illinois Wesleyan University in Bloomington, and Centre College in Kentucky. He began to practice law in Metamore Illinois in 1868. A lifelong Democrat, Stevenson was elected to Congress in 1874 and 1878. He served as First Assistant Postmaster General in President Grover Cleveland's first administration, 1885-1889, was Vice-President in Cleveland's Second Administration, 1893-1897. Stevenson bought this house in 1889. He died in 1914."

• Pros:There's plenty going on here - and a good gay bar
  • Cons:Lots of strip-style sprawl out on the highway
  • In a nutshell:Very livable, and a nice place to visit
  • Last visit to Bloomington: Oct 2003
  • Intro Updated Dec 11, 2003

• Aug 9, 2009 at 8:10 PM

It seems that all you really did in creating your page is walk around Franklin Park and the square and take pictures. It's not a very good overview of Bloomington.

• Aug 6, 2007 at 5:30 AM

The bartender Brad is a little hottie.Brad is the life of the bar.

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Mar 27, 2005 at 9:13 PM

Since I'm going to be in Bloomington for one day next week, wanted to check out your take on it. Like what I read..especially the architecture and the restaurant. Like the renewal downtown. Great work, Chet

• redhead80's Profile Photo
    Jul 22, 2004 at 6:39 AM

Very nice BN page. I live here and I know that it's not too exciting. As someone put it, it's a great place to be FROM. My hubby is from MI (and his dad is a yooper!) and he can't stand the lack of water. Oh well, we do have cornfields...does that count?

• Feb 20, 2004 at 10:04 AM

deecat told me to check out your pages. I'm glad. I like your upbeat style and love of architecture is obvious. I, too, admire small towns on the "comback". Thanks for a breath of fresh air!

• zrim's Profile Photo
    Dec 11, 2003 at 4:25 PM

.........I don't know if I can, in good conscience, lend my support to a Blomington page. Nicely done, but I think you hide the true nature of this flatland, stripmall haven.

yooperprof

“from da u.p. to da world”

Badges & Stats in Bloomington

Have you been to Bloomington?