"One of the very first Bloomington IL Pages" Bloomington by yooperprof
Bloomington Travel Guide: 29 reviews and 54 photos
It looks like this is going to be one of the very first attempts to build a page for Bloomington Illinois. How exciting is that! And what a lot of responsibility for me as well. Bloomington is the headquarters of State Farm Insurance, and I was told that many historic advances in the philosophy and practice of actuarial science were made here. It's also part of a bi-urban area which includes Normal, the home of Illinois State University. Somewhere in the area there is also an enormous Japanese owned auto manufacturing plant. When I was a gradual student at the University of Illinois in the mid 1980s, my friends and I looked down our noses at Bloomington-Normal, because in our minds it lacked the urbane champagne-like sophistication of our university community. But visiting the area in the fall of 2003 for a professional conference, I was pleasantly surprised at how comfortable a place this seems to be.
"This was the home of Adlai E. Stevenson I, Vice-President of the United States 1893-1897. Stevenson was born in Kentucky in 1835 and came to Bloomington in 1852. He attended Illinois Wesleyan University in Bloomington, and Centre College in Kentucky. He began to practice law in Metamore Illinois in 1868. A lifelong Democrat, Stevenson was elected to Congress in 1874 and 1878. He served as First Assistant Postmaster General in President Grover Cleveland's first administration, 1885-1889, was Vice-President in Cleveland's Second Administration, 1893-1897. Stevenson bought this house in 1889. He died in 1914."
- Pros:There's plenty going on here - and a good gay bar
- Cons:Lots of strip-style sprawl out on the highway
- In a nutshell:Very livable, and a nice place to visit
"Stick style" - and with a big front porch. Ideal for porch sitting. more travel advice
Bloomington has an abundance of well-preserved leafy residential neighborhoods. I took a stroll around the neighborhood... more travel advice
yooperprof's Related Pages
Bloomington Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Focus on Education"
- "One of the very first Bloomington IL Pages"
- "Bloomington - in the heart of Illinois"
- "I've left the building--check the Kansas City Page"
- "n8hoffman's new Bloomington Page"
- "New Year's Eve 2003"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bloomington
- Hotels in Bloomington
- Transportation in Bloomington
- Nightlife in Bloomington
- Restaurants in Bloomington
- Warnings and Dangers in Bloomington
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bloomington
- 12 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (58)
Have you been to Bloomington?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bloomington
Photos in BloomingtonSee All Photos (14)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 206 reviews, 394 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 82 reviews, 229 photos, 3 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 126 reviews, 161 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oslo Intro, 112 reviews, 173 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Milwaukee Intro, 102 reviews, 168 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 86 reviews, 176 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marquette Intro, 80 reviews, 151 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ottawa Intro, 67 reviews, 144 photos, 1 travelogue
- Montreal Intro, 70 reviews, 137 photos
- Kansas City Intro, 72 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (37)
Latest Bloomington hotel reviews
- Jumer's Chateau
- 93 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 22, 2013
- Quality Inn & Suites Bloomington
- 62 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013
- Econo Lodge
- 14 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 3, 2013
- Extended StayAmerica Bloomington-Normal
- 58 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 19, 2013
- Fairfield Inn & Suites Bloomington
- 58 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 18, 2013