"Scenic and Historic River Town" Alton by yooperprof
Alton Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 46 photos
Alton is a city of about 30,000 people just to the north of St. Louis. Although once an industrial and transportation center, the town seems to be trying to re-invent itself as a travel and tourism destitation. Riverboat gambling and antique stores now help to define Alton. Since it isn't on an interstate highway, much of the modern world seems to have bypassed this place. Perhaps some people would call it "nasty," but others (including yooperprof) think of it as charming.
In the background of the photo is the new US 67 bridge over the Mississippi.
Erected by the United States
To mark the Burial Place of 1354 Confederate Soldiers who died here and at the Smallpox hospital on the adjacent island while prisoners of war and whose graves can not now be identified
- Cons:they need to put up more signs to the Confederate Cemetary
It was a little disturbing to me how difficult it was to find the Confederate Cemetery in Alton. It's located in the... more travel advice
It's been a while since anyone has checked into the Stratford Hotel in downtown Alton. more travel advice
yooperprof's Related Pages
Alton Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Home of the Gentle Giant"
- "Scenic and Historic River Town"
- "Historic and modern - well mixed."
- "Antique hunting & the Legend of the Piasa"
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Alton
- 10 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (58)
Have you been to Alton?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Alton
Photos in AltonSee All Photos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 206 reviews, 394 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 82 reviews, 229 photos, 3 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 126 reviews, 161 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oslo Intro, 112 reviews, 173 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Milwaukee Intro, 102 reviews, 168 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 86 reviews, 176 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marquette Intro, 80 reviews, 151 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ottawa Intro, 67 reviews, 144 photos, 1 travelogue
- Montreal Intro, 70 reviews, 137 photos
- Kansas City Intro, 72 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (37)
Latest Alton hotel reviews
- Days Inn Alton (1900 Homer Adams Parkway.)
- 63 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 6, 2013