"You'll Dig Des Moines!" Top 5 Page for this destination Des Moines by yooperprof
Des Moines Travel Guide: 119 reviews and 190 photos
Claus Oldenburg and Coosje van Bruggen have struck again, this time in Des Moines with an oversized trowel. It looks perfectly at home on the lawn in front of the Meredith Corp. headquarters downtown. (Meredith is a media conglomerate that publishes many well-known magazines, so perhaps the handtool is a sly reference to one of its most famous, "Better Homes and Gardens.")
You'll dig Des Moines if you have a hankering for contemporary art and architecture. Art freaks ought to stop by if they are passing through on I-80 from east to west, or 1-35 from north to south. The Des Moines Art Center is an excellent regional institution, and is located in a lovely sylvan park with outdoor sculptures by Richard Serra, Henry Moore, and Andy Goldsworthy, among others.
Des Moines is what it is, but in my mind any city which has a free public art gallery where you can see the work of contemporary masters like Gerhard Richter, Anselm Kiefer, Jeff Koons, and Louise Bourgeois (among others) is worth a look.
This is part of a sculpture called "Man and Pegasus" by Swedish sculptor Carl Milles. It's in the courtyard of the Des Moines Art Center.
That's a good question.
I've read a few different explanations. One is that it comes from the fact that it is located "in the middle" of the region between the two big rivers, the Missouri and the Mississippi. The French explorers used the term "of the middle" to refer to the area, which ended up as "Des Moines."
Note that the correct pronunciation is "Duh Moyne" - with the second part of the city's name rhyming with "coin." We Americans really slaughter our French place names. I also like "Des Plaines" in Illinois and "Versailles" in Missouri.
Charming authentic 1950s diner in west Des Moines, a big hit with the collegiate set at Drake, very popular for weekend... more travel advice
Pleasant, quality bistro in downtown Des Moines. Reliable and well-recommended by Des Moines natives, Django is one of... more travel advice
yooperprof's Related Pages
Des Moines Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Des Moines, Iowa"
- "You'll Dig Des Moines!"
- "Welcome to the capitol of a Purple State!"
- "A curious mix of qualities"
- "Ohh...... I live here."
- "Nice place..."
- "Its not Dead Moines"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Des Moines
- Hotels in Des Moines
- Transportation in Des Moines
- Nightlife in Des Moines
- Restaurants in Des Moines
- Warnings and Dangers in Des Moines
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Des Moines
- 27 Reviews
- 44 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (57)
Have you been to Des Moines?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Des Moines
Photos in Des MoinesSee All Photos (44)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 206 reviews, 394 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 82 reviews, 229 photos, 3 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 126 reviews, 161 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oslo Intro, 112 reviews, 173 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Milwaukee Intro, 102 reviews, 168 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 86 reviews, 176 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marquette Intro, 80 reviews, 151 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ottawa Intro, 67 reviews, 144 photos, 1 travelogue
- Montreal Intro, 70 reviews, 137 photos
- Kansas City Intro, 72 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues