"Czech Out Cedar Rapids!" Cedar Rapids by yooperprof
Cedar Rapids Travel Guide: 55 reviews and 77 photos
You may wonder why it is that Cedar Rapids has the National Czech and Slovak Museum. Well, there were plenty of Czech farmers who came and settled in rural Iowa in the 19th century - and the great Czech composer Antonin Dvorak came to Iowa in the 1890s and received inspiration and reinvigoration from his time here. There's a small but proud Czech community still active in this town, and the "Czech Village" seems to be doing okay.
To be honest, there weren't all that many Slovaks in Iowa, and the museum really concentrates on the Czech portion of the story. The museum was conceived and executed at a time when the Czech Republic and Slovakia were conjoined in Czechoslovakia. But the two slavic lands parted in an essentially amicaple separation in 1991, following the collapse of the Communist regime there.
The rapids on the broad Cedar River provided hydro power for a number of industries that were established here in the late 1800s. Cedar Rapids is still something of an industrial center, one of the larger cities in the state, and one with a proud cultural and educational heritage as well.
Considerably Above Average java joint near Coe College and the main downtown strip. Interesting art on the walls, poetry... more travel advice
Nice little shop in Cedar Rapid's Czech Village that features an assortment of local produced arts and crafts, as well... more travel advice
yooperprof's Related Pages
Cedar Rapids Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Cedar Rapids, Iowa - New Pics, Check Travelogues"
- "Jim_Eliason's Cedar Rapids Page"
- "My home town"
- "yeah quaker oats!!"
- "Czech Out Cedar Rapids!"
- "LauraLolly's Cedar Rapids page"
- "Only briefly...."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cedar Rapids
- Hotels in Cedar Rapids
- Transportation in Cedar Rapids
- Nightlife in Cedar Rapids
- Restaurants in Cedar Rapids
- Shopping in Cedar Rapids
- Warnings and Dangers in Cedar Rapids
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cedar Rapids
- 7 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (57)
Have you been to Cedar Rapids?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cedar Rapids
Photos in Cedar RapidsSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 200 reviews, 374 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 82 reviews, 229 photos, 3 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 126 reviews, 161 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oslo Intro, 112 reviews, 173 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 86 reviews, 176 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Milwaukee Intro, 101 reviews, 159 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marquette Intro, 80 reviews, 151 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ottawa Intro, 67 reviews, 144 photos, 1 travelogue
- Montreal Intro, 70 reviews, 137 photos
- Kansas City Intro, 72 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (37)
Latest Cedar Rapids hotel reviews
- Marriott Cedar Rapids
- 73 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 18, 2013
- Ramada Limited
- 4 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 14, 2013
- Heartland Inn Cedar Rapids
- 11 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Feb 13, 2013
- Residence Inn Cedar Rapids
- 33 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 19, 2013
- Fairfield Inn Cedar Rapids
- 41 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 20, 2013
- Crowne Plaza Five Seasons
- 60 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 30, 2012
- Clarion Hotel and Convention Center Cedar Rapids
- 71 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 8, 2013
- Quality Inn Cedar Rapids
- 29 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 6, 2013
- Baymont Inn And Suites Cedar Rapids
- 67 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 7, 2013