"Amana on the Range" Top 5 Page for this destination Amana by yooperprof
Amana Travel Guide: 41 reviews and 100 photos
The Amana Colony - or Amana Villages - is a cluster of seven small settlements about 20 miles SW of Cedar Rapids, in the rolling Iowa countryside. Originally, the "Ebenezer Society" was one of many "traditional" and pietistic sects in Reformation-era Germany. They immigrated to America in the early 19th century, ultimately choosing here to settle here in east central in an attempt to recreate their community back in the "Old World." For an almost a century, the Amana-ists were intensely inward-looking, resisting integration with the mainstream rural society which surrounded them. In 1932, Amana was transformed into a modern co-operative corporation, with complete separation of the religious and economic functions. Over the last 50 years, the Amana Colonies have opened up to the world - somewhat.
Today, the Amana villages are a popular regional travel destination. But you won't find mass tourism here: no McDonald's, no water parks, overt commericalization. So you won't be surprised to find the main tourist information center in Amana is in a tastefully restored barn!
Amana is the largest and most centrally located of the seven Amana settlements, so it has the greatest concentration of visitor attractions and amenities. The General Store here has a wide variety of local produced foods and crafts, as well as more general touristy tschotskes.
I didn't get a chance to visit the Amana Museum in the main village, but I imagine it would be quite interesting.
Nice gallery that showcases the work of regional artists - many of whom teach or practice in nearby Iowa City/Cedar... more travel advice
Lehm Books also have a good selection of old maps, framed and unframed. more travel advice
yooperprof's Related Pages
Amana Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "AMANA, TRUE INSPIRATION … JUST OFF I-80"
- "Times past...."
- "Amana on the Range"
- "The Amana Colonies"
- "Get off the Interstate"
- "Self-Sustaining Iowa Utopia for Tourists"
- "Amana Colonies"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Amana
- 5 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (60)
Have you been to Amana?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Amana
Photos in AmanaSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 206 reviews, 394 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 82 reviews, 229 photos, 3 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 126 reviews, 161 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oslo Intro, 112 reviews, 173 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Milwaukee Intro, 102 reviews, 168 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 86 reviews, 176 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marquette Intro, 80 reviews, 151 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ottawa Intro, 67 reviews, 144 photos, 1 travelogue
- Montreal Intro, 70 reviews, 137 photos
- Kansas City Intro, 72 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues