"Hometown of Kamehameha the Great" Kapaau by yooperprof
Kapaau Travel Guide: 0 reviews and 6 photos
There's an interesting story how this statue of King Kamehameha came to Kapa'au. In 1880, an American sculptor living in Florence, Thomas Gould, received a commission to design a sculpture of Hawaii's great unifying king. When Gould completed hiswork, the finished work was placed on a ship that steamed out of the Mediterranean and which was crossing the Atlantic when it sank in a violent storm close to the Falkland Islands. No problemo: Gould had kept the mould and was able to make a second cast. The duplicate statue safely made the voyage to its intended destination, and was put on public display in the heart of central Honolulu - where it still stands today. But not too many years past before cargo experts were able to retrieve the original from Davy Jones Locker. The first statue was duly sent to the islands as well, and it was decided to place it here, not far from Kamehameha's childhood home.
The village of Kapa'au is near the end of SR 270, as it begins to wind ESE after rounding the northern cape of the Big Island.
Trees are neat.
This big specimen graces the lawn of the courthouse in Kapa'au.
Can someone tell me what kind of tree this is? I'm no arborist, alas.
yooperprof's Related Pages
Kapaau Travel Guide
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kapaau
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (57)
Have you been to Kapaau?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kapaau
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 206 reviews, 394 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 82 reviews, 229 photos, 3 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 126 reviews, 161 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oslo Intro, 112 reviews, 173 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Milwaukee Intro, 102 reviews, 168 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 86 reviews, 176 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marquette Intro, 80 reviews, 151 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ottawa Intro, 67 reviews, 144 photos, 1 travelogue
- Montreal Intro, 70 reviews, 137 photos
- Kansas City Intro, 72 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues