"Life's a Beach" Kailua-Kona by yooperprof

Kailua-Kona Travel Guide: 358 reviews and 813 photos

La'aloa Bay Beach Park

Just a typical little beach in Kona - nothing special about it. . . .

Ali'i Drive

When I was in Kailua-Kona, I felt like Goldilocks. I thought that it was "just right." I know that for a lot of people, there's not enough "development" here: not enough nightclubs, fine restaurants, luxury shopping experiences, dramatic surf experiences, whatever. For other people, there's much too much development here. (And to be honest, there is indeed an undeniable cheerful tackiness to Ali'i Drive.) But for myself, there was "just enough" development along the beachfront here. I'd like to preserve it in amber, just as it is.

When I stayed in Kona in 2005 with my friend Harry, this was the view from our "partial ocean view" room at the Royal Kona. Pretty nice!

• Pros:Where it's happening on the Big Island
  • Cons:There's not a lot happening on the Big Island
  • In a nutshell:If you want a lot happening, you should be on Oahu
  • Last visit to Kailua-Kona: Jun 2013
  • Intro Updated Sep 2, 2013

• GentleSpirit's Profile Photo
    Sep 5, 2013 at 6:07 PM

chet i found your photos of kona just magnfiicent, such beautiful colors!!!!

• morgane1692's Profile Photo
    Aug 28, 2005 at 12:57 PM

Lava Java's is the spot for Kailua's webcam too, but I looked all over the place and never did find the damn thing. Awesome coffee though, and the meanest cinnamon "roll" I've ever seen. A fine spot for hanging out and watching the mellow world roll by...

yooperprof

“from da u.p. to da world”

Badges & Stats in Kailua-Kona

Have you been to Kailua-Kona?

Latest Activity in Kailua-Kona