"Living History and Coffee in rural Hawaii" Captain Cook by yooperprof
Captain Cook Travel Guide: 18 reviews and 40 photos
Beautiful area of the Big Island, studded with roadside villages and small coffee farms. A lot of people drive through in a hurry on their way to Volcanos National Park, but it really is worthwhile to "stop and smell the coffee" - and also to learn how it got here in the first place!
Coffee is not native to Hawaii. Coffee plants - the small trees - were brought here by planters and investors in the late 19th century as a potential cash crop. They "took" very well to the sunny well-watered slopes of the western side of the Big Island. Small farms employed imported laborers - many from Japan - to grow this labor-intensive commodity. Many of the small farms are still in the families of the original farmers.
The Kona Coffee Living History Farm offers fresh coffee, newly harvested macadamia nuts, and the opportunity to take a... more travel advice
Fascinating "living history" site. It is just off State Route 11 on the south Kona Coast. The Store is operated by the... more travel advice
yooperprof's Related Pages
Captain Cook Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "CAPTAIN COOK ~ VOYAGER ~ CAPTAIN COOK, HAWAII"
- "Living History and Coffee in rural Hawaii"
- "Town of Views"
- "BlueCollar's Captain Cook Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Captain Cook
- Hotels in Captain Cook
- Transportation in Captain Cook
- Restaurants in Captain Cook
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Captain Cook
- 4 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (57)
Have you been to Captain Cook?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Captain Cook
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 206 reviews, 394 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 82 reviews, 229 photos, 3 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 126 reviews, 161 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oslo Intro, 112 reviews, 173 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Milwaukee Intro, 102 reviews, 168 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 86 reviews, 176 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marquette Intro, 80 reviews, 151 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ottawa Intro, 67 reviews, 144 photos, 1 travelogue
- Montreal Intro, 70 reviews, 137 photos
- Kansas City Intro, 72 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues