"As in "Marquis de LaFayette"" Fayetteville by yooperprof
Fayetteville Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 19 photos
There are a number of "Fayettes" scattered across the US. I never really thought about it before, but these places are named after the Marquis de LaFayette, the French aristocrat who played such an important role in the American Revolution. I'm not sure why, but a great many of these "Fayettes" are in the old south. Fayette County Georgia is about 15 miles south of Hartsfield Airport - so it caught between its historic small town identity and its new destiny as a bedroom community for Atlanta's relentless sprawl. Fayetteville still has the pleasant sleepy charm of a traditional market town, but it also has the fungus-like growth of "box stores" and "supercenters" common to most such places in America. I hope Fayetteville doesn't lose the character which makes it interesting.
"This County, created by Acts of the Legislature May 15 and December 24, 1821, is named for the Marquis de La Fayette, famous French General who came to this country to fight under General George Washington in the Revolutionary War. After returning to France, he revisited Georgia in 1825. Fayetteville was incorporated and made the County Site [sic] in 1823. . .
"World's longest Courthouse Bench, removed from Fayette County Courthouse during reconstruction and modernization of the interior, 1965. Hand hewn, heart pine center beam used 1825 to 1965, 58 feet long.
- Pros:A nice short drive from the city
yooperprof's Related Pages
Fayetteville Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Fran's Fayetteville Page"
- "Atlanta Suburb"
- "As in "Marquis de LaFayette""
- See All...
- Things to Do in Fayetteville
- Restaurants in Fayetteville
- Shopping in Fayetteville
- Warnings and Dangers in Fayetteville
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Fayetteville
- 1 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (114)
Have you been to Fayetteville?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Fayetteville
Photos in FayettevilleSee All Photos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 205 reviews, 391 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 82 reviews, 229 photos, 3 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 126 reviews, 161 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oslo Intro, 112 reviews, 173 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Milwaukee Intro, 102 reviews, 168 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 86 reviews, 176 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marquette Intro, 80 reviews, 151 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ottawa Intro, 67 reviews, 144 photos, 1 travelogue
- Montreal Intro, 70 reviews, 137 photos
- Kansas City Intro, 72 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues